Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up my fellow SVriders!? I'm not currently an SVRider... I'm an SVCrasher! :'(

Saturday AM I decided to take my friend Misha on a nice ride through northern AZ and some of my favorite twisties. She's a great passenger, and the only person that I would ever take through a set of twisties, and she rather enjoys them. There were three sets we rode through, and the first two were great, no problems.

When we get to the third set, which is a country road called Vulture Mine Road, :eek: There is a large thunderstorm rolling in from the west. No rain yet, but failing light conditions. That should have been my first cue to slow down. As we entered the twisties, there were dips in the road that also were filled with sand and dirt from water washing across the road. Clue number two. I ignored the clues and kept riding at the same pace, not crazy fast, but pretty spirited.

Unfortunately, that pace was too fast for conditions. Coming into a blind left with a crest, I realized I was in a bit too hot. No problem I thought, I'll just coast through and hold my line. Then I saw the sand just beyond the crest, piled up on the centerline. I knew there was a good chance the sand was in my lane too, but I just froze up. All I could think was "don't brake over the sand!" I couldn't actually make out where the sand was, so I just held my line and hoped for the best. No dice. The front tire hit the sand and was GONE.

We were probably going about 40-45 when we crashed, and wearing full gear up top, but jeans and hiking boots on bottom. I hit first on my knee, felt it burn, and rolled back to try and save it. Misha was behind me the entire time but she actually ended up sliding face down and ground up her helmet pretty bad. We slid off the road into the gravel runoff area, thank God it wasnt a guardrail! I hopped up immediately and checked on her, she seemed okay so then I checked my knee. Hamburger meat! Also my big toe where the asphalt ground through the boot! Misha was feeling pain in her ankle, but luckily no rash except for a small bit on the wrist. We got pretty damn lucky.

I went and checked on the bike, and found pretty minor left side damage, so I'm not too worried about her. Some people were nearby when it happened, and came over to help. Gave us some water, and let us use their phone, as mine had no service. After calling a buddy, sat down and tried to chill out, and make sure Misha was okay, but then that thunderstorm opened up on us something fierce! Right then I'm figuring this is going to be a long night!

Lucky me again, a guy in a pickup pulls up and offers to help me get the bike out of there and to his house to fix it so I can ride home. We lift her up in the back of his truck and get to his house. After getting out of the rain, we bandage up my knee and her wrist and decide to wait out the rain. The guy and his family are nice as hell and we pretty much hang out until the rain stops. We transfer the SV to another truck and his dad drives us home, about 80 miles away. I gave him some money for his trouble and he almost wouldnt take it! What a nice guy!

Damage Summary: Misha
Sprained ankle, rash on wrist, and general soreness, and bruised butt!

Damage summary: Mizatt
Hamburger knee, wrecked toe, general soreness.

Damage Summary: Gina (the SV)
left clip on, left rearset, frame slider, rear plastic cracked and scraped.

Lessons learned:
SLOW DOWN for conditions! SLOW DOWN! No more passengers. I just couldn't live with myself if she got severely injured! I already feel terrible as it is. MY pace is too high for the street! And of course, full gear from head to toe next time. If we were wearing our full gear, neither one of us would be hurt right now!

Sorry for the novel, guys. Any suggestions on how I could have avoided that sand?

·
Registered
786 Posts
slow
Mizatt said:
Sorry for the novel, guys. Any suggestions on how I could have avoided that sand?
I think you said it best yourself, slow down. Sorry to here about your off, you and your friend heal quickly!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Jeans should not be considered riding gear. You almost might as well be wearing shorts.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
zoltan said:
Jeans should not be considered riding gear. You almost might as well be wearing shorts.
i ride in jeans. it's a calculated and accepted risk.

i'm curious though, do you always wear leather or textile pants when you get one bike? i mean always, regardless of if you're riding half a block to top off with gas or around the corner for a newspaper, etc?

·
Registered
744 Posts
stranger said:
i ride in jeans. it's a calculated and accepted risk.

i'm curious though, do you always wear leather or textile pants when you get one bike? i mean always, regardless of if you're riding half a block to top off with gas or around the corner for a newspaper, etc?
So is riding in shorts.

Notice, I didn't say "always wear your pants". I simply said that jeans should not be considered riding gear. It annoys me that there's this misconception that jeans are going to do anything for you in a crash. No, they disintegrate in contact with pavement. If you want to wear jeans, go ahead, but don't think that they're going to do something for you when they're not.

Personally, if I'm going anywhere besides an around-the-block test ride, all the gear goes on. I've ridden bicycles long enough to know what pavement can do even at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Not to throw salt in your wounds (so to speak) but spirited riding with a passenger is extremely irresponsible.  Even if the passenger consents, it's too much responsibility to bear.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the 2 of you were not seriously injured. Be safe.

·
Registered
359 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Not to throw salt in your wounds (so to speak) but spirited riding with a passenger is extremely irresponsible. Even if the passenger consents, it's too much responsibility to bear.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the 2 of you were not seriously injured. Be safe
+1 - Keep it safe next time... Glad it turned out alright in the end. You lived and learned so all is going to be better.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hafta admit, I was getting ready to "crash" on you big time, but I read your "lessons learned". You summed it up pretty well.

I really don't understand why people ride fast on public roads. I never go above 6/10's or so unless I can see the road ahead. I don't ride with passengers, period. If I just had to carry someone with me, I'd get a sports car.

Glad you - and your passenger - are OK

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm an a$$hole. I know.  :-[

When I put the SV back on the road, the seat cowl is going on back and the passenger pegs are coming off. No more passengers.

Question: Should I try to keep my knee mobile to prevent scarring and tightening, or just keep it still? Anybody had rash there before?
Showers are SO MUCH FUN now! :mad:

Also, does anyone have a stock left clip-on, clutch lever, or rearset they want to part with?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This story should be required reading for all those people who try to justify their purchase of a 600 and up by saying thay will, "always ride within their limits and not push themselves." Sometimes the road plays a factor and a crash is simply unavoidable.

FWIW I had a very nice rash on my knee a number of years ago. You just have to live with it. Scars are OK as it gives you something to show people when telling the story in the future. ;D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey man,
Sorry to hear about your wreck.
I know how you feel.  I was in the same boat only my bike didn't get off so lucky.
About your knee, mine was the same way.  For the next few weeks, you won't be able to bend it.  Keep some sort of salve on it - ie. Polysporin.  That worked great for me.  I was back on my other bike within two weeks.  My SV however, I won't be driving till next year at least.  Its in pretty rough shape.  :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
That really sucks about your crash and the rash that followed!!! Its been 4 weeks since I crashed and my knee is almost 100% again. I will be wearing leather or textile riding pants most of the time now. Hopefully you get the hint that jeans are not the best thing to wear while riding the twisties at a spirited pace... I sure did!

Good luck getting your bike back on the road!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow, Mizatt!!

Sorry about the crash. You summed it up pretty well in your "Lessons Learned" section.

Once I was headed out to Tortilla Flats and there was sand on a blind right hand turn. I slowed immediately (scared crapless) and was glad I did, because there was a car coming in the oppsite direction.

I'm glad you and your passenger, Misha, made it out all right.

and, yeah, I agree about the gear. I'd rather be sweaty than bloodied up or dead.

Glad you were both geard up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah FULL gear is now a requirement for me in the twisties. I was putting off buying a nice set of textile or mesh pants, and replacing my boots which I ruined at my last trackday. No more. All in all this has been a pretty cheap lesson. Hopefully some of you out there can benefit and change bad habits before they bite ya!

K

·
0 Posts
So glad you are ok man, I know that had to be damn scary with a girl on the back to worry about. That is one of my worst fears is wrecking with one of my girls on the back, that would just be terrible. Glad it all came out ok and glad she is doing well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for posting man, I'm now thinking serious about pants. The visualization I had while reading your story told me of ripped jeans and flesh.

Good luck on getting the bike back together and glad the girl is ok.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Very glad you guys are OK Mizatt... could have been much worse. That's awesome that those complete strangers took care of you like that! For the record, I don't think you're an a$$hole at all. I think you were having fun with your friend, ignored some warning signs and had an accident. Happens to the best of us. Hindsight is always 20/20. Don't beat yourself up too much... just learn from it and move forward. Also, don't be so quick to swear off the passenger thing. Give it some time. I think sharing the experience with a passenger is a lot of fun - if done responsibly. If you're friend is still up for it, I say go have some more fun. Riding motorcycles is risky - there's no way around it. You have to understand that before you ever get on a bike - either as a rider or a passenger. As long as everyone knows that up front and accepts the risks, there shouldn't be any guilt involved if you have a little off like this one. It's all part of the game. Gear up next time though. ;)

I used to ride with jeans - but now I have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego textile pants. Not as safe as leathers, but much safer than jeans. If I'm on the bike, they're on me. Period. Same goes for ALL of the rest of my gear. To me, it's just not worth the risk to ride even a short distance wthout it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts