Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Stupid Bastard and our National Anthem....

8K views 79 replies 34 participants last post by  chestybulldog 
#1 ·
First time in 11yrs MotoGP is back and the singer goofs up OUR anthem. What is wrong with these people and goofing up our anthem, they need to go to class and memorize OUR ANTHEM. Stupid BASTARD!!!! Pisses me OFF!!!

Sorry for the rant, but things like this really upset me.

Grav.

#5 ·
At first I didn't think I heard what I thought I did. Then they showed some of the racers chuckling and was in awe he screwed up!

#6 ·
Stage fright, then he shouldn't be out there, PERIOD!!! Put someone else out there that doesn't have stage fright. I'm sick and tired of all these singer/celebs goofing up our anthem being embarassed and thinking, "No big deal!"
It is a big deal! If you don't know the words don't sing or GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY, and try to learn their anthem.

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grav.

#7 ·
Well, you guys pretty much summed it up, then...

but doesn't this count as a spoiler? Just kidding.

#13 ·
dmroeder said:
s**t happens. Did anyone notice that Colin Edwards had to be reminded to take off his hat for the National Anthem. No biggie, just thought it was funny.
I think he had ear plugs in and he forgot he had his hat on. At first I caught that too, but then I realized he had his ear plugs in.

Grav.

#16 ·
I finally remembered how he messed up another part.
Instead of "...gave PROOF through the night that our flag was still there," he said "...gave TRUTH through the night...."

FYI, I found the ENTIRE lyrics for it. Had no idea it was so long.

The Star Spangled Banner
(The Defense of Fort McHenry)

September 20, 1814

By Francis Scott Key

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, now conceals, now discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

#18 ·
I didn't see the US MotoGP national anthem debacle, so I can only guess what happened. (And even if I guessed wrong, I don't give a flying ****, so don't bother `splaining it to me, Lucy.) But here's a few thoughts:
The Star Spangled Banner is a hard song to sing. It's in an inconvenient key and requires a wide vocal range.
Worse yet, since Americans learn it in first or second grade, we don't think about the song. (It isn't "Jose, can you see . . . ?") That means that if you suddenly have to concentrate on it (like if you're singing in front of 100,000 people) you're even more likely to screw up. Think: musical equivalent of target fixation. :shock:
Lots of performers screw it up. Since it's repeated at every sporting event, that means it's been screwed up a lot and there's videotape of a lot of the screw ups.
It could have been worse; Roseanne could have been performing.
But Nicky won and Colin stood on the podium so who cares about the national anthem?

#21 ·
MaddMaxxNYC said:
wonderjosh said:
The guy couldnt sing for shiot either. Where do they find these people?!
It was horrible and VERY embarassing. Europeans know their anthems and their soccer songs better than we do!
I beg to differ. Ask most English people and we'd only be able to quote you the main verse of our anthem.

And watch any international football [sorry, soccer] match at the beginning where they pan the camera down the line of players and you'll basically see the mumbling of a lot of people who dont know the words but feel they need to look like they do.

#22 ·
SVlyn said:
MaddMaxxNYC said:
wonderjosh said:
The guy couldnt sing for shiot either. Where do they find these people?!
It was horrible and VERY embarassing. Europeans know their anthems and their soccer songs better than we do!
I beg to differ. Ask most English people and we'd only be able to quote you the main verse of our anthem.

And watch any international football [sorry, soccer] match at the beginning where they pan the camera down the line of players and you'll basically see the mumbling of a lot of people who dont know the words but feel they need to look like they do.
he still couldnt sing :roll:

#23 ·
It was embarassing because the worldwide audience now thinks that we can't even get our own national anthem right.

On top of that, it was in the middle of the moment of silence for the London bombing victims. So the anthem itself seemed really out of place, and then to have someone who can't even get the words right sing it.... well, as one of the MotoGp commentators put it (who is a Brit,) it was "farcical."

I can't spell 4 sheet. :p

#24 ·
Fatass SVS said:
I didn't see the US MotoGP national anthem debacle, so I can only guess what happened. (And even if I guessed wrong, I don't give a flying ****, so don't bother `splaining it to me, Lucy.) But here's a few thoughts:
The Star Spangled Banner is a hard song to sing. It's in an inconvenient key and requires a wide vocal range.
Worse yet, since Americans learn it in first or second grade, we don't think about the song. (It isn't "Jose, can you see . . . ?") That means that if you suddenly have to concentrate on it (like if you're singing in front of 100,000 people) you're even more likely to screw up. Think: musical equivalent of target fixation. :shock:
Lots of performers screw it up. Since it's repeated at every sporting event, that means it's been screwed up a lot and there's videotape of a lot of the screw ups.
It could have been worse; Roseanne could have been performing.
But Nicky won and Colin stood on the podium so who cares about the national anthem?
Exactly. It's difficult. That's why you get a pro, and people like you and me aren't up there singing it. Because we'd forget the words. For the same reason you and me aren't lined up on the grid. Because we'd freeze up or target fixate and take out half the field. Which is the equivalent of that guy's performance.

I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but geez. It irks me. If you're going to do something like sing the national anthem at a huge event in front of an international audience during a moment of silence for victims of a bombing the do it right. If that's asking too much, shoot me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.