Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just discovered this site and love it. 
I have a sv650s with full fairings which I also love and was
wondering what you guys thought about stunting on an SV compared to a "race" bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh dear. Let the replies begin................

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
stunting on a new bike is stupid cause you will drop it or turtle it and F it up. Buy an old POS 94-98 sport bike and stunt that. Dont mess up a prefectly good SV to be cool.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's definately not worth it. Road rash is no fun. Nether is driving around a bike that's all rashed.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
It's not so much stunting that we have issues with, it's where and when the stunting is done.  On a freeway in heavy traffic.....not so good.  On a deserted backroad or industrial park.....it's your bike and body.

However, the SV does not do well with prolonged wheelies due to the location of the oil pickup in the engine.  In other words, the front engine gets starved of oil easily, and will roast your engine if you're not careful.  If you like to do long wheelies, there are better bikes out there for that.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
svStunting said:
I definetly understand that.  But I also have been stunting on a dirtbike for as long as I can remember.
dirtbikes have nothing to do with street riding.

go ahead wheelie your sv. but please do a search as to why it seized up before posting and asking about it  ::)

·
Registered
39 Posts
well I don't stunt but just to answer your question before you burn to death amidst the flames... Think about it..........an SS has better brakes for stoppies, etc, more power for different kinds of wheelies (i.e. high chair), and they don't have oil starvation problems during long wheelies like the SV has been reported to have.  

That said, buying a street bike for stunting is the biggest waist of money!  It's not designed for that.  Something like a trials bike, or dirt bike would be appropriate.  Please don't ruin your SV.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
svStunting said:
I definetly understand that. But I also have been stunting on a dirtbike for as long as I can remember.
Then keep stunting on your dirt bike and leave the SV looking good.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I wouldnt be alive if I stunted the SV like I do on my dirtbike...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Knock yourself out, literly!  Just a little humor for you!  ;)  Seriously, stunting is fine if that is your thing.  Like another poster already said, just don't give the rest of us a bad name by doing it in town and on busy streets!

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Knock yourself out, literly!  Just a little humor for you!  ;)  Seriously, stunting is fine if that is your thing.  Like another poster already said, just don't give the rest of us a bad name by doing it in town and on busy streets!

Yeah, what he said.

Plus, dont report it to insurance when you bust it up, cause we dont want our rates going up because of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah I wouldn't be stunting on main streets, only back streets. But why do so many people hate stunting, I don't understand... If you don't take risks its no fun.. jk..

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
svStunting said:
Nah I wouldn't be stunting on main streets, only back streets.  But why do so many people hate stunting, I don't understand... If you don't take risks its no fun.. jk..
Everyone has their reason. I dont hate it, to a degree. There is some serious skill out there in the stunt world, the kind of guys I can look up to, but there are so many that abuse it and pretty much ruin things. That happens to everything though. If you really want to be great at stunting try to turn your dirtbike (depends on what kind of course) into a street bike.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Putting the obvious safety thing aside.....

I guess I just don't understand the purpose of stuntin.

For example, as you can tell, and most members here already know, I am a car guy..... so my best analogy is this..... I consider stunting the same as the new craze of "drifting" in the car world....

I just don't see a purpose to it. I do see there is skill involved and I can respect that, but I just don't get it....... and I never will.

G

·
svStunting said:
Nah I wouldn't be stunting on main streets, only back streets.  But why do so many people hate stunting, I don't understand... If you don't take risks its no fun.. jk..
Read the posts: image, enforcement, insurance.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well everyone can drive fast and ride fast in a straight line.  But when you can ride that fast only on one wheel, I think it shows alot more skill and grace in your riding.  Everyone is getting me all wrong.  I don't sit here and stunt all day long and I love to ride just to ride, but on occasion I do enjoy to pull it up just to have fun.  And this is why I asked my first original question on how the sv compares to these other bikes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
svStunting said:
Nah I wouldn't be stunting on main streets, only back streets. But why do so many people hate stunting, I don't understand... If you don't take risks its no fun.. jk..
Joking or not--that is a self-destructive attitude and seems like a typical Gen-X thing to say to be cool. A lot of stunters give that a reason for what they do.

All risks are not equal and don't necessarily mean fun. More often than not they mean disaster. In order to take risks that you can survive you need a lot of skill and a little luck. Unfortuantely, stunting is one of those things you can only learn by doing and crashing---a lot. I see a lot of stunters around Dallas and they all have beat to shit bikes.

I don't hate stunting in and of itself. I hate the majority of people who do it with little to no regard for the consequences to themselves and others in the community. They don't see (or care evidently) that they represent a group of people that already has a hard time with insurance, the law, the media, and the public. And those activities only make it worse for all of us. The only responsible place to stunt, just like the only responsible place to race is at the track (or any other facility set up for the safe and legal pursuit of that activity).

Back roads are just as illegal and as potentially dangerous as main streets. You never know if someone will be driving by at the one moment you lose it. Road conditions are usually sub par on back roads too, you've got gravel, pavement changes and animals to deal with. I have seen enough crashes out in the boonies to know that you aren't any safer there than anywhere else. Thinking you are safe out there is incorrectly assuming that the only risk you face is other cars. Read the Hurt Report sometime. You'll see that a quarter of crashes were single vehicle only--so you don't need cars around to get hurt. And that was only riding... stunting only raises that risk. And I have seen plenty of cops patrolling around the twisties on the weekends because they know that riders go out there to practice their stunts and speeding. You aren't safe from them either.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
don't forget that whole oil-starvation thing

1 - 20 of 61 Posts