Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed an Ermax undertail on my '02. Now my chain, lock, gloves, etc... if I'm riding and hit the brakes, all that stuff finds it's way down by the battery threatening to fall out. I have to 1 bolt up the lower piece so it's not open if this happens again and 2, what do you guys use to block stuff falling past a certain point :p

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i have the same problem. in fact, i dont even trust the undertail to hold any weight, so i dont put anything in there. i plan on making some kind of floor to bolt to the frame that would also have a wall to prevent the stuff from sliding all the way down

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stranger said:
i have the same problem. in fact, i dont even trust the undertail to hold any weight, so i dont put anything in there. i plan on making some kind of floor to bolt to the frame that would also have a wall to prevent the stuff from sliding all the way down
I smelled something burning as I thought it was the clutch on the car in front of me during the ride to work. I park the bike, look down and there's my toolbag open sitting next to the the coilover! Imagine shit started falling out of it!!! I need to do something about this.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
chewy had a great suggestion for strapping the toolkit to the seat or cowl. pm him for info.

i dont even carry the toolkit unless it goes in my tank bag. at least not until i make something to act as a floor

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stranger said:
chewy had a great suggestion for strapping the toolkit to the seat or cowl. pm him for info.

i dont even carry the toolkit unless it goes in my tank bag. at least not until i make something to act as a floor
I'm going to basically just bend a piece of metal and use 3M double sided tape to hold it in place. Like an L bracket, that should be good enuf.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
my problem is that i dont trust the plastic pop rivets to hold much weight. i'm not as afraid that stuff will slide down as i am that stuff will bust through, knock the undertail off and fall out behind me

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's what I had to do; make a plate to support the undertail.  I used some sheet metal and cut it so it would bolt up to the rear two bolts in the subframe where the plastic fender used to go.  Then I put some LED tail lights in  and bolted the holders through the bottom of the undertail and new support.  It is very solid now and nothing falls out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
that looks good... luminates the plate nicely

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
thats a good idea actually. you could also make like a box type deal and possibly make brackets to hold it down to the sub frame. i'm gonna try that. one question i know a few of you are from north jersey and i just moved here where can i get sheet metal??

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
B.a. said:
thats a good idea actually.  you could also make like a box type deal and possibly make brackets to hold it down to the sub frame.  i'm gonna try that.  one question i know a few of you are from north jersey and i just moved here where can i get sheet metal??
i had the same question. people tell me home depot, though i've never seen any. if you find some, let me know

where in north jersey are you?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
stranger said:
i had the same question. people tell me home depot, though i've never seen any. if you find some, let me know

where in north jersey are you?
i'm in clifton right up the road from you.

i didn't find sheet metal in a store but this company that sells tools and stuff has a web site for sheet metal you can order aluminum or metal or titanium plates starting from 12"x12" sheets and the alimnum isn't to expensive i was thinking of getting that. the only problem is i don't have any sheet metal equipment.

this is the link http://www.northerntool.com/affiliates/onlinemetals/

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't been in one in a while, but Sears Hardware stores used to sell sheet metal along with diamond plate. Not sure if they do anymore, but if you have one close by you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just stuck a small 2x4 in there. It supports my toolbag, krytonite chain and lock, and gloves all nicely

N

·
0 Posts
You don't have any home centers near you? All the store here locally sell sheet and angle stock. Have you tried Lowes, Home Despot, etc?

:)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i did a very rough draft of something to give me a "floor" in the tail section and used a license plate that i had laying around. i'm going to play with it a little more and will post up pics of what i come up with

·
Registered
167 Posts
stranger said:
All the Home Depot's should have the same layout, so if you go into the isle with all the nuts and bolts the sheet metal is three quarters of the way down the isle, on your left hand side, on the bottom shelf, just to the left of the hinges and door stops and stuff. It's worth checking out, because they sell 24"x24" pieces of sheet metal for about half of the cost of getting it at PartSource or a comparable automotive parts store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pa_sver were did you mount your turn signals? I went to get my bike inspected and my turns was 1 1/2" from the brake not the 3"

·
Registered
27 Posts
ziptie said:
Pa_sver were did you mount your turn signals? I went to get my bike inspected and my turns was 1 1/2" from the brake not the 3"
I made a bracket that is the same width as the license plate. The stock signals mount to the bracket and put them out about the same distance as stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts