Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wanted to install rearset riser plates, but the Allen heads on my footrest/rearset bracket -to-frame bolts stripped immediately.

I know some methods to get out stuck bolts, but I'm worried there might be some red Loctite in there. Do I have to cook the sucker with an oxyfuel torch? I'm worried about cracking the frame with too much heat. I ordered some replacements from bike bandit, and they come pre-coated with blue stuff (presumably blue Loctite). So, suggestions? Weld on a nut, drill the sucker out? Other?

Appreciate any ideas...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fixitwithahammer, as your screen name suggests! =-D i would throw some heat on the frame or try some easy outs
Ok, I deserved that. Really though, I'm decent with other tools than hammers, but I've also screwed up a few things in my day. Hoping for ideas from folks who experienced the same...

·
Registered
362 Posts
how about a dremel with a cutoff disc, cut a deep straight line across the bolt and then use an impact screwdriver with a flat bit?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I presume that you've already got it soaking in PB Blaster or something like that, plus tapping on the bolt with your famous hammers every now and then. Give it 24 hours of soaking. Don't forget to apply some PB blaster to the bolt from the back side, I think the bolt hole is open at the back too IIRC.

Of lot of people swear at (not by!) the "pound in" screw extractors, myself included. If you ever have one break off, and they do, quite regularly, you know how much fun it is trying to drill out the hardened steel. I won't use them anymore!

I haven't tried the "reverse screw extractors" myself, but that is what I would try next if I were you. Because the bolt is not too small, you should be able to get a fairly decent sized extractor inserted. Maybe those break off, too, I don't know. If that doesn't work, then the next thing I would do is to drill off the bolt head.

I wouldn't try heating the frame unless it was a last resort, I don't like to think about what happens to an aluminum frame when you do that, plus it'll probably mess up the paint job if you happen to care about that at all.

Maybe you already know all this stuff, sorry if you do! might help someone else with a stuck bolt

·
Registered
198 Posts
I presume that you've already got it soaking in PB Blaster or something like that, plus tapping on the bolt with your famous hammers every now and then. Give it 24 hours of soaking. Don't forget to apply some PB blaster to the bolt from the back side, I think the bolt hole is open at the back too IIRC.

Of lot of people swear at (not by!) the "pound in" screw extractors, myself included. If you ever have one break off, and they do, quite regularly, you know how much fun it is trying to drill out the hardened steel. I won't use them anymore!

I haven't tried the "reverse screw extractors" myself, but that is what I would try next if I were you. Because the bolt is not too small, you should be able to get a fairly decent sized extractor inserted. Maybe those break off, too, I don't know. If that doesn't work, then the next thing I would do is to drill off the bolt head.

I wouldn't try heating the frame unless it was a last resort, I don't like to think about what happens to an aluminum frame when you do that, plus it'll probably mess up the paint job if you happen to care about that at all.

Maybe you already know all this stuff, sorry if you do! might help someone else with a stuck bolt
Never used the pound in screw extractors, but the reverse screw extractors work like magic, even with small hex head screws (10-32 and the like). I've personally used EZ-outs and Grabits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never used the pound in screw extractors, but the reverse screw extractors work like magic, even with small hex head screws (10-32 and the like). I've personally used EZ-outs and Grabits.
Yeah, I have some left handed bits I might try. I might try the impact wrench + dremeled slot too but I just expect I'll damage other stuff if I start dremeling, and yes the bolt holes on the frame are open at the back so PB blaster is not a bad idea. It's just that this is one of the cleanest machines I've ever wrenched on, I wasn't expecting stuck bolts unless somebody went overkill w the Loctite as I said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts