Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to by an Sv650s at a low price. But the kid who's selling it stripped the spark plug on the front cyclinder. It gets snug but never really tight. My question is is this an easy fix? Do I have to replace the head do they make some product that can seal it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a chance to by an Sv650s at a low price. But the kid who's selling it stripped the spark plug on the front cyclinder. It gets snug but never really tight. My question is is this an easy fix? Do I have to replace the head do they make some product that can seal it?
probably just tap and die it and put a sleave on the plug. did it on my 41 chevy pick-up motor hadnt been turned over in 40 years and i stripped a hole when I tore it apart.

·
Registered
597 Posts
They make something called a heli-coil that allows you to drill out the stripped thread, re-tap it with new threads, then add a coil that screws into these new threads. The coil will then become the new threads for the plug. This works extremely well and will be just as good as the original threads.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I saw that but alot of pepole say its hard to install.And they come out some times.I heard the insert is easy way out.

·
Banned
39 Posts
i was just gona say to use some automotive goop an glue it in, but i don't want to be responsible if/when that spark plug gets fired out of that hole like a cannon.

Take the bike to your local dealer, they'll prolly tap an die hole an you'll have to use a slightly bigger plug, or a sleave like someone said above.

this is kinda of a common problem with cars vehicles in general, bc some jacka$$ is in a hurry to change there plugs an don't properly get the plug started in the hole an strip out the hole. kinda like what i do to my old lady lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i pefer to do it my self if i can .But I'm not even shure he stripped it.Ok this is where it is and I appreciate all the help. But he put the plug in hand tight then turned the socket wrench with a extension on it abouta 1/4 turn when the manuel says to turn it a 1/2 turn for newplugs he used (NGK CR8E).Now the plug feels pretty snug but also feels like you can tighten it alittle more with not much effort and I'mmaffraid to see how much tighter to go because he thinks for some reson that it strriped already but I was able to un thread it and I even ran it around the block reved up the rpm's allitle to see if it would come poping out or spit out some fuel/oil but nothing it seems ok for now.what is this "goop glue" your talking about I might be able to put that in for extra safety?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
probably needs a helicoil, donny J might chime in as I recall he had similar experiance on his Trans America trail trip.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Well i pefer to do it my self if i can .But I'm not even shure he stripped it.Ok this is where it is and I appreciate all the help. But he put the plug in hand tight then turned the socket wrench with a extension on it abouta 1/4 turn when the manuel says to turn it a 1/2 turn for newplugs he used (NGK CR8E).Now the plug feels pretty snug but also feels like you can tighten it alittle more with not much effort and I'mmaffraid to see how much tighter to go because he thinks for some reson that it strriped already but I was able to un thread it and I even ran it around the block reved up the rpm's allitle to see if it would come poping out or spit out some fuel/oil but nothing it seems ok for now.what is this "goop glue" your talking about I might be able to put that in for extra safety?
How about taking the time to examine it? It's counter productive to worry over things that may not even be a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because it's was not my bike.Today I got to go pick it up and will look more into it.Now that I did some reserch I see it an easy fix.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Locktite made a two part thread product at one time, don't know if they still do. I also do not know how well it worked. It was made expressly for this, and came with a release agent to put on the threads of the bolt (or plug, I guess).

Do not use JB Weld or any such similar to it for a spark plug. It is great stuff, you can even fix a cracked case with it, but never use glue on anything that needs regular replacement or is load bearing.

Helicoils work great, and most bike shops have the tool and the coils. When I worked in a dirtbike shop going to college we put quite a few of them in, never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i don't see how someone could strip a plug. how could you not know? laziness? possibly. hopefully it's not too big of a deal and you can get it properly sealed and re-tapped.

·
Super Moderator
9,060 Posts
Heli-Coil inserts are not too difficult to install. The hard part is keeping the metal shavings from falling down inside the cylinder head if you don't remove it. You can pack the tap with grease to try and capture the shavings, but it's hard to tell if you got them all.

There is also a thread repair call the TIME-SERT. I've never used one, but it looks like it's a more solid repair than a heli-coil. It's one solid piece as opposed to being a coil, and appears to be designed to lock in when installed.

Do a search on YouTube for "stripped spark plug" and you'll find some very informative videos.

Good luck!

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
how good is the price?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i don't see how someone could strip a plug. how could you not know? laziness? possibly. hopefully it's not too big of a deal and you can get it properly sealed and re-tapped.
I've done it. I call it changing a plug in a blizzard without a flashlight and the closest thing to a wrench that could be found was a breaker bar. It worked, but later on I wanted to beat myself with that breaker bar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi there i have sv650 i had same prob, get a helli coil done it will not pop out. All they do is drill head and insert new thred job done will cost between 80 to 120 pounds the dont have to strip the engine to do this if they are careful if bike is that cheap put new lump in easy D.I.Y

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've once seen a magazine mention a spark plug rethreader that was hollow and had provisions to hook up a vacuum to suck up the shards. Unfortunately I've never seen it again.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Did he cross-thread it? For that price get it, pull the plug and see what it looks like, If the threads are dirty, or crossed chase them with a tap. If it is stripped do a heli-coil.

probably just tap and die it and put a sleave on the plug.
they'll prolly tap an die hole an you'll have to use a slightly bigger plug, or a sleave like someone said above.
Taps are for internal threads, Dies are used for EXTERNAL threads

1 - 20 of 21 Posts