Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've done a stupid thing and stripped a side panel bolt on my 2005 S. It's the little plastic panel that is mounted just below the seat, so with this stripped I can't do basic maintenance on my bike!

I tried drilling the bolt and using an easy-out. Amazingly, this did not work - the bolt is IN there.. and now along with the tip of an easy-out. I'm contemplating cutting the whole damn side panel off and taking a set of vice grips to the bolt to remove it once it's exposed and then purchasing a new panel or set of panels if I have to.

Before I go ahead with cutting and destroying crap, does anyone have another suggestion? Also, does anyone know the price of and/or have a set of black panels for a 2005 SV650S?

Thanks for your help, folks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Get a drill bit roughly the size of the bolt and drill it, the bolt head should come off which allows the plastic piece to come out. Then get a vice and twist the rest of the bolt out.

Should save the size panel, just need to get a new bolt. If your side panel does get damaged though, I have an extra right side panel if that's the one that's giving you problems.

Never done this to a bolt of this caliber but I've done it to a lot of laptop screws.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Patience is your wallet's friend. Those side covers go for around $48 each!
Do you have enough room to try and use a Dremel to cut off the top of the cover bolt? This would allow you to pull the cover off and then try to attack the now somewhat exposed stud w/ some clamping pliers.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Cut a single notch into whats left of the head, like you need a flathead screwdriver. Then go to sears and pick up what they call an impact driver and use the flathead tip that comes with it. Should come out easy with one of those.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. All good ideas.. Eenie meenie miny mo... I'll probably try turning int into a flatheaded screwdriver compatible bolt first. If that fails, I'll switch to just drilling the bolt head off. I also thought of drilling the whole bolt out to re-tap it. That's my likely my last resort.. :p

If all that fails, I've seen some side panels on ebay for $50/pair, which isn't too unreasonable... but the regular OEM price is a bit too rich for my blood.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Left handed drill bit?

Used that to drill into whatever you have left in the hole. Once it bites into the material it should start turning it right out.

Then drill and retap the hole for a larger bolt.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You can find some CF side panels on the web for around $100 or less. If it comes right down to you having to destroy the panel to remove the bolt you might as well get the CF ones to replace them.

This site, for example, has them for $75

http://www.pit-eck.com/view-product/1065

1 - 8 of 8 Posts