Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That's pretty harsh...

...given that your next sentence has a shift in number error.
How so? Yes there is a shift in number, but it is not excessive and the phrase is a common idiom in the English language. I suppose it could be rewritten in interwebz speak 2 each their ownz and it would be more correct?

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
How so? Yes there is a shift in number, but it is not excessive and the phrase is a common idiom in the English language. I suppose it could be rewritten in interwebz speak 2 each their ownz and it would be more correct?
Each: singular. Their: plural*.

My point is that associating grammar pedantry with intellectual ability is a dangerous game.

*there's a growing use of "their" as a gender-neutral singular noun, which is fine by me - but it's not fine by a lot of the *******es who share your views on the importance of "correct" grammar, whatever that is on a motorcycle forum. ;)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Each: singular. Their: plural*.

My point is that associating grammar pedantry with intellectual ability is a dangerous game.

*there's a growing use of "their" as a gender-neutral singular noun, which is fine by me - but it's not fine by a lot of the *******es who share your views on the importance of "correct" grammar, whatever that is on a motorcycle forum. ;)
Fully agreed, and I concede that the phrase, no matter how common, is not grammatically correct.

And I would further your statement to say that judging someones character or intellect over the internet is a waste of time. Too much communication is lost in a post. And that was the point of my rant, not a judgement or name calling.

Well written posts are one of the only ways to judge the validity of an opinion when it comes to internet information, whether it blog, forum, or "news" article. I have made the same criticism about my local paper due to the lack of proof reading and editorial. (Seriously, they've ended articles mid-sentence before!)

I would go back and re-word my rant, but seems like cheating especially since I admit to the taste of something reminiscent of Corvus Brachyrhynchos. :sbmfacepalm:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
i guess the point of my posts is that there can be benefits to extended swingers. i keep seeing these threads pooping up, and i keep seeing people go on and on about how awful it is, and youre such a unicorn puffer for wanting to do so. let it be done! im trying to reveal some benefits, something, anything, to help these OP's when teh narrow minded unicorn puffers come bearing negativity. all teh negativity just bothers me. its like, were on a modding forum people. lets mod! lets help people mod! instead folks go on about how the handlings gonna suck. why? there are plenty of much longer wheelbase streetbikes that handle just fine. i mean, the one guys comment about highway offramps is just absurd! i just get sick of folks geting ripped on for seeking a little knowledge, trying something different. we should be happy when someone posts stuff like this. we should be happy that their are involved in moto. im always happy to see people doing something other than crime, and if extended swingers are what it takes to keep these OP's outta jail, then go for it man!
Really? You don't even understand the actual benefits of the mod you're trying to defend.

Really though... A SV with a 3' swingarm will not turn in as easy as a stock SV.

Go try it... Bet the stock SV handles better and can carry more speed on entrance ramps.

Don't get me wrong... I like a few of those ultra custom lowered and stretched bikes. But I wouldn't wanna ride one.

Personally I would like to see more single sided swingarms!
Thank you.

The point most of us are trying to make is that an extended swingarm offers little tangible benefits to an SV unless it is a show bike. Then the question becomes, why did you use the stock SV swingarm as the extension base? It looks like crap and probably won't win any awards. To help you out whiz-wad, here's a short list of extended swingarm benefits:
  • It creates a longer lever for torque application, meaning the front wheel requires more power to get off the ground. This helps with launching and harsh roll on, and contributes to faster straight line times on more powerful bikes.
  • It makes the bike more stable (side to side) at speed. This is also useful in straight lines, because the bike requires more force to turn.
  • It provides a unique aesthetic change to the bike.

Now with benefits come detriments, and here are the arguments to each of those benefits:
  • The SV650 in particular, and in some ways the 1k, can utilize gearing changes and proper clutch control to not wheelie the bike during a launch. Proper technique in a straight line race outweighs any benefits the rider with the extended swingarm might have.
  • The torque application, short wheelbase, high center of gravity, and 160 profile rear wheel, with or without suspension modifications, allows the SV to be a very flickable bike with a very quick turn in. Extending the swingarm negates all of this.
  • Anyone who knows the pro's and con's of a stock SV will make fun of you for having an extended swingarm, as seen here.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts