Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
well i tryed to post a pic its in my gallery
Here you go:

You're gonna get double-hate: part 1 for the extended swinger, and part 2 for reviving a 6 year old thread.

Both are stupid, keep at it and post up more pics as you make more progress. :)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
You do also realize the pointlessness of a drift battle between a car and a bike? Also that a swingarm isn't necessary to drift a bike?
i realize the pointlessness of drifting in general. still looks hella fun. and i think if he didnt have a extra foot on that swinger hed probably have highsided asap. its a streetbike drifitng like a motard. im just sayin, ive yet to see anyone do anything like that on a trackbike,.... well maybe flattrack.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
i realize the pointlessness of drifting in general. still looks hella fun. and i think if he didnt have a extra foot on that swinger hed probably have highsided asap. its a streetbike drifitng like a motard. im just sayin, ive yet to see anyone do anything like that on a trackbike,.... well maybe flattrack.
You don't watch motorcycle racing, then. A lot of the racers drift. Here's an example of Casey Stoner in MotoGP:

Keep in mind that's a slowed-down video. They're doing this at MotoGP race speeds.

Rossi hamming it up before traction control:

·
Registered
74 Posts
cmon man,.... ive seen all that before. thats not drifting, thats the rear stepping out a bit (ok, the rossi one is good, but you can tell the bike is fighting it). those drifts and slides are nowhere to the extreme of what the guy on the kwak was doing. i mean hes going through the entire turn sideways. hes effin flat tracking a zx10 on asphalt!

back on topic....
i assume the longer swinger/longer wheelbase helps the bike to be less twitchy when getting all crossed up in the turns. certainly the reduced swingarm angle and lack of anti-squat are doing their parts for spinning the tire up. but its the wheelbase part im not 100% sure about. what differences in setup would be beneficial to a a bike setup solely for drifting?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I just picked those for ease of searching. Have you really ever seen Stoner race and paid attention? Not to mention at the speeds at which he pulls it off... Stoner is FAR more impressive than that guy in the video at drifting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
well good for stoner. i wonder if he was on a stetched bike with a drift focused mindset if he could make it any more spectacular. im gonna go out on a limb and say a longer wheelbase lessens the chance of highsiding. which would also make it harder to get sideways, thus the nearly flat swingarm angle to reduce anti-squat so as to promote at-will wheelspin.

^^speculative

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
There are plenty of vids on youtube of stunter kids sliding around superbikes with stock swingarms so a stretched one isn't required, but I guess it would help make the bike steer slower.

Two differences between doing it in a race and in a promo vid is that you can't retake the shot if you crash during the race. And they won't give you the points just cause you were so far ahead anyway :p So you have to give props to doing it in a race, on live TV, where you have something at stake and could throw a win away. This guy wishes he postponed his celebrations by a few seconds:

·
Registered
74 Posts
i guess the point of my posts is that there can be benefits to extended swingers. i keep seeing these threads pooping up, and i keep seeing people go on and on about how awful it is, and youre such a unicorn puffer for wanting to do so. let it be done! im trying to reveal some benefits, something, anything, to help these OP's when teh narrow minded unicorn puffers come bearing negativity. all teh negativity just bothers me. its like, were on a modding forum people. lets mod! lets help people mod! instead folks go on about how the handlings gonna suck. why? there are plenty of much longer wheelbase streetbikes that handle just fine. i mean, the one guys comment about highway offramps is just absurd! i just get sick of folks geting ripped on for seeking a little knowledge, trying something different. we should be happy when someone posts stuff like this. we should be happy that their are involved in moto. im always happy to see people doing something other than crime, and if extended swingers are what it takes to keep these OP's outta jail, then go for it man!

·
Registered
165 Posts
i guess the point of my posts is that there can be benefits to extended swingers. i keep seeing these threads pooping up, and i keep seeing people go on and on about how awful it is, and youre such a unicorn puffer for wanting to do so. let it be done! im trying to reveal some benefits, something, anything, to help these OP's when teh narrow minded unicorn puffers come bearing negativity. all teh negativity just bothers me. its like, were on a modding forum people. lets mod! lets help people mod! instead folks go on about how the handlings gonna suck. why? there are plenty of much longer wheelbase streetbikes that handle just fine. i mean, the one guys comment about highway offramps is just absurd! i just get sick of folks geting ripped on for seeking a little knowledge, trying something different. we should be happy when someone posts stuff like this. we should be happy that their are involved in moto. im always happy to see people doing something other than crime, and if extended swingers are what it takes to keep these OP's outta jail, then go for it man!
He said pooping.:lmao:

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
OK, you guys who don't like that car vs. bike drifting vid are a bunch of old f'n ladies.

Jesus H. that is awesome. They even used an RX-7. The only way I could be happier is if the drift bike was an old Katana 1100. :D

And Rossi and Stoner are a lot better at racing than Brocha, but you can't say that they're better at stunting/drifting. That hand on the tarmac while sideways in the turn was completely mental. Even the RC camera rig was pretty rad.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Really though... A SV with a 3' swingarm will not turn in as easy as a stock SV.

Go try it... Bet the stock SV handles better and can carry more speed on entrance ramps.

Don't get me wrong... I like a few of those ultra custom lowered and stretched bikes. But I wouldn't wanna ride one.

Personally I would like to see more single sided swingarms!

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Really though... A SV with a 3' swingarm will not turn in as easy as a stock SV.

Go try it... Bet the stock SV handles better and can carry more speed on entrance ramps.

Don't get me wrong... I like a few of those ultra custom lowered and stretched bikes. But I wouldn't wanna ride one.

Personally I would like to see more single sided swingarms!
Well come on - you can't have it both ways! :mad:

A double-sided swinger works better than a SSSA. Hell, a well set-up dual shock would work better than the SV's crap suspension. So you can't act like you're all substance over style and then say that you'd rather see a single-sider.

SSSA's are heavier, and that's unsprung weight. Terblanche knew what he was doing with the 999/749...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Well come on - you can't have it both ways! :mad:

A double-sided swinger works better than a SSSA. Hell, a well set-up dual shock would work better than the SV's crap suspension. So you can't act like you're all substance over style and then say that you'd rather see a single-sider.

SSSA's are heavier, and that's unsprung weight. Terblanche knew what he was doing with the 999/749...
I'm just sayin that everyone is doin stretched swingarms these days... Id like to see more SSSA's on Busas and show bikes...

The bike I take out and ride the backroads with won't have an extended swingarm though...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
And I'm tired of people who go on pointless rants, but don't understand the basics of the English language! You know, those little things like spelling, capitalization, grammar, and other nuances that let people know you have a functioning brain

But to each their own!

Oh, and stretched bikes are stupid .... just like choppers. Is there a market for them, can they look cool? Sure, doesn't make them less pointless though.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
And I'm tired of people who go on pointless rants, but don't understand the basics of the English language! You know, those little things like spelling, capitalization, grammar, and other nuances that let people know you have a functioning brain
That's pretty harsh...

But to each their own!
...given that your next sentence has a shift in number error.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts