Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm thinking about converting my 2002 SV650S to a streetfighter and am looking for ideas of gauges. I'm trying to keep away from buying aftermarket gauges because I don't want to do the whole Odometer disclosure when I sell.

I'm considering removing the gauges from the fairing and custom mounting them closer to the triple (using aluminum strips) and hiding it with a fly screen.

Thoughts? Pics?
Thanks

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The stock gauges are pretty bulky to be moving closer to the triple, and even more bulky for the thought of tucking them behind a flyscreen.
I certainly wouldnt rule out aftermarket gauges just because you're concerned with reporting mileage. You can have your mileage programmed into the new gauges so its there upon install.
Here's a pic of how I mounted my stock gauges for when I did my budget-naked swap. It's no longer like this as I have moved on to the Acewell 2800 gauges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The gauges are mounted on a printed circuit that is the same size of the housing. I just did the same conversion and went with the vapor gauges. You can set the odometer, and the features are awesome.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Yes with the Vapor you can set the ODO to match your stock gauges with simple programming and yes it's fully featured, has a clock, back lit, 2 setable shift lights, 2 temp light settings, and the dash set up can be set up the way you like it with the choice of 8 different light options. It will set you back about $180

==> http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Is your Acewell gauge jumpy, Dack?

The 2nd gen gauges are a little easier, but Beyond the Veypor there is the Vapor, a popular choice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Vaypor and an Acewell 3701. Between the two I like the vaypor better in almost every way except the screen is better at night on the Acewell. Not that this matters here but the Vaypor can run of AC or DC where Acewell gauges need DC. This makes things less of a headache on bikes like my xr650r which doesn't come with a battery.

I had a Veypor(not Vaypor) on my old GSXR and it was by far my favorite gauge of the three. It's feature set puts all these to shame...just the screen size needs to be bigger. The cost is also slightly more when factoring in the gauge cluster mount.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Is your Acewell gauge jumpy, Dack?
The tach was until I soldered in a 600ohm (6x100) resistor, which is the same as the "raptor tach wire" you hear about with the vapor. Tach used to jump around but now its spot on all the way through the revs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
those gauges are pretty big...not much for hiding. first reply looks to be about your best option aside from making a bracket of your steering stem nut and putting them there...you still wont be able to hide them tho.

im using Koso rx1-n's on my fighter project. look kinda like a stock setup, but smaller and all the features probably even more.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
acewell. very small, fits my palm. ( and i have small hands )

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
acewell. very small, fits my palm. ( and i have small hands )
You have a 3700 series, correct?
My 2800 is about the size of my ipod touch. Still small enough to fit in my hands, but IIRC its a bit larger than the round 3700's.

my 3700 series

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
no I have 28xx series

·
Registered
64 Posts
Love the paint swiest152!

You can probably sneak it behind a screen. Thats how I had my F4i rigged. But I had to put the gauges on top of the tree, not in front of them. Also I relocated my key to the frame rail near the radiator.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I miss it.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
do the tachs on those work well?

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I never hooked mine up. Just wait for rev limiter, then shift. :)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've just got a bicycle computer on mine for now, it works great for speed - was just curious for tach. Might get one sometime...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts