Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear your tips for making it to where you want to go safely while everyone is trying to get you!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Ride faster than everyone else so you don't need to use those stupid mirrors!

My dad always said "ride like everyone is trying to run your ass over"

I avoid blind spots like the plague, try to keep good following distances, and avoid any areas where aftermarket hubcaps and rims are popular accessories. Call it profiling or whatnot, but it seems to hold true.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When cars are around, never relax. Always look for an out. Don't let them ride your butt too close, horrible to hit brakes to avoid one to only get plowed over by another.

I ride daily rain, wind, or sunny. Never ever ever ride if you don't feel you can be safe. I will ride in some wind but not too much. Rain but never rain with moderate wind. Just go with your gut and you should be fine. You know what you are capable of better than anyone else.

If in doubt, take the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some personal guidelines
  • Ride with hi-beams on during the day.
  • Observe car's spokes to indicate if they are moving and if they will pull out infront of you.
  • Strive to eliminate all rage and anger when people drive in dumb ways.
  • Make quick decisions on the aptitude of those around you. Don't be afraid to speed up or slow down or even get off the road if the environment appears sketchy.
  • Always pack raingear
  • Yes your muffler may be loud but nothing short of the altering frequency of a siren will pierce through many people's dazed consciousness.
  • Learn to listen and trust the quiet guardian voice that tells you "don't ride today" or "avoid the highway today" or "wait 10 minutes more before leaving" or "pull over and get that messy debris that you almost hit off the road" or "obey the speed limit for awhile"
  • Stay away from anyone who appears to be in a great hurry
  • Staring too long at attractive pedestrians can get you in trouble real quick

·
Registered
540 Posts
Some personal guidelines
  • Ride with hi-beams on during the day.
  • Observe car's spokes to indicate if they are moving and if they will pull out infront of you.
I live these two religiously. Watching people's faces and then looking at seeing where their tires are pointed/are moving will usually let me know if they are going to make a move in my way or not. I've caught myself a couple time slowing down just to realize that their car turned right in front of me. If I hadn't been slowing down, things would of turned out bad.

And the highbeams, my highbeams are always on. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The ones I always tend to stick to are:

-never ride in someones blind spot

-never stay behind a "compulsive braker" (someone who hits the brakes every 47 seconds or so, for no apparent reason) it's like the boy who cried wolf, the first couple times they hit the brakes, you do too, then you get used to it and don't worry about it so much as you realize they are only slowing .5 mph, so when they finally DO emergency stop, you have been lulled into a false sense of security and you aren't ready for it

-always pick a lane position that gives you a good view ahead, this does a few things, allows you to be more prepared for upcoming traffic actions, keeps you in the mirror of the person in front of you, and aims you at an empty spot between lanes, which is your "out" in an emergency

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
- When deciding to ride behind a car, don't ride in the middle section of the lane. Either ride on the left or the right sections. If they decide to brake, you have less distance to get around them.

- When turning your head to look behind you, understand for that split second, the car infront of you can slam on their brakes.

- Look at the cars infront of you if you notice them swerving or if their suspension is bouncing, can be potholes.

- Never decide to stay behind a truck or SUV, you can't see infront of them.

- Observe car side mirrors and tires. That way you can hopefully predict a lane change before they put on their signal.

- When stopping at a red light or stop sign(if a full stop), go to the far right section of the lane. This is to lower the risk of being rear ended.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hmmm...

• Watch the wheels of stopped cars to see movement/direciton (as stated above)
  • Never ride in the blind spot
  • Never ride directly next to another car if possible
  • Choose lane position to keep an 'out'
  • Expect every intersection/parking lot exit to result in a car entering your path
  • Always shoulder check your lane changes
  • At stop signs/lights watch to be rear ended and keep it in first with space in front for an 'out'
  • I always move to the right when I'm cresting a hill in case someone is passing coming the opposite direction. This would be a crap shoot
  • Look through/over the cars in front of you to see what traffic is doing and use your peripherals for the cars directly in front
  • I try to avoid night/dusk riding due to the deer and drunks
  • Don't drink and ride
  • I often signal with my hands in addition to my blinkers
  • If there is a car coming from the opposite direction stopped and waiting to turn across my lane, I will flash my brights to help make them aware that I am there and be ready for them to turn into me. I just hope they don't ever perceive the flash as "hey go ahead"
  • Keep a good distance from the car in front of you. Especially in town - It's easy for the people in the previous bullet to not see you when you are right behind someone and they will be more apt to turn into you

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Do not ride in the center of a lane. Always to the side, to see what's happening in front of you, in case you have a car blocking your line of sight.
Also this helps in making yourself visible in a car's side mirror and, if needed, you are already to the side of the lane, so if somebody slams on their brakes, or fails to brake, yuo can get out of the way much quicker.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Great tips, another one I use a lot that I notice other riders dont do is RAISE YOUR VISION. A lot of people look 30 ft ahead, I look and scan from what's in front all the way forward to 200 ft. If they cars 100-200ft in front of the cars in front of you are braking, then you will be braking soon, give yourself ample time to slow down and give early warning to the car behind you.

I also lightly tap the brakes a few times 2-3 seconds before I touch them, to inform the car behind me that I will start to initate braking.

Also, watch your mirrors and scan them at all time, you would be surprised what you can avoid from watching your mirrors. I don't relax on the bike, I always have my guard up, scanning up down left right and back as I ride. I am used to it from always being the leader on group rides, I see whats happening in the back, and everywhere around so I can lead in a proper and confident way for everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
another one is to keep your bike in gear at street lights until there are a few cars stopped behind you. If you're the first at the light, you need to be on the look out for the lattechino-drinking-tard not paying attention, ore else, you're scrambled (keeping it breakfast oriented)...

·
Registered
59 Posts
These are all great tips, learned a couple new ones today.

The most important ones that I've found are be in a state of constant vigilance. It's good for your brain.

Look ahead, be aware of the entire traffic environment. Even if a car made a sudden left turn from your right from a residential neighborhood, it's okay. You saw him 5 seconds ago looking the other way, and adjusted your riding speed accordingly so you could brake in time, if need be.

Because you did, you're able to slow down in time, and avoid colliding with the idiot cager, while also moving slightly to the right, into the neighborhood because that was your exit strategy.

Strategy for what, you ask? You noticed the person behind you was looking down, texting when you last checked 3 seconds ago. The texter only now looks up, sees the oncoming car too late, and T-bones the left-turner in a glorious explosion of glittery glass and metal. Normally you would stop, make some popcorn, and watch the hilarity that ensues, but you need to get to dinner with your girlfriend, so you put-put away, 100% intact and still alive 'n kicking. Some will call you a Jedi for being able to avoid this, "switched on" individuals were just following the rules set in the above posts.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Strategy for what, you ask? You noticed the person behind you was looking down, texting when you last checked 3 seconds ago. The texter only now looks up, sees the oncoming car too late, and T-bones the left-turner in a glorious explosion of glittery glass and metal. Normally you would stop, make some popcorn, and watch the hilarity that ensues, but you need to get to dinner with your girlfriend, so you put-put away, 100% intact and still alive 'n kicking. Some will call you a Jedi for being able to avoid this, "switched on" individuals were just following the rules set in the above posts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Something I did was really focused on what I do without thinking about it when I drive. like... look behind as slowing, scan down the road especially in town, look through turns, etc. I had a tendency to not look far enouggh ahead at first. I still try to remind myself all the time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I know a lot of people do this but on the freeway, stay in the farthest left lane. Middle lane = sammiched. Right lane = merging cars. I split the lane into three parts, and I always stay on the left part of the left most lane, gives me a small buffer of reaction time if someone tries to do me in on the right side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DOM had one of the best...you have to learn to scan the road a head. That means you are keeping your eyes ahead in a corner, or just scanning the layout before you get too close. Another thing is, everyone crashes. If you ride, you will go down. Its just a matter of when, and will you be ready. There is also an art to going down. The way that I figured it out was on a dirt bike, and then a dual sport. I hate to say it, but learn to crash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forgot to add, learn how to safely apply the brakes. Too many people will get into a situation where they are nervous and tend to get on the front brake too hard.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts