Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the worst street stunting you have seen lately. Do you think it hurts our image. Do you think it brings heat form the Man down on us? I know street stunting is way worse in some areas. I don't see it near as much in NC. as I did in CA. By stupid riders I mean guys who ride down the center lane in stop still traffic and get everyone honking at them, guys who cutt in and out of traffic, pass on the shoulder, etc... Do you think this gives us a poor image, bring heat on us form the Man. I like to see a good stunt like most but not on the streets and I hate to see stupid riders. A friend of mine had a guy behind him rideing a wheelie for over a mile or so right up to the back of his car. He eventually put on his brake and broke up the fun so to speak. I had a stupid rider pull up beside me this moring on a Superhawk on a 4 lane highway and try to encourage me to ride stupid as well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's legal to split lanes in Californiia. But that other crap I don't agree with. These people need to get a life. Get on the track for stuff like that. Makes all of us look real bad. Street stunters and stupid riders are one and the same in my eye's. :mad:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
While I don't condone stunting, I think the worst thing for our image is the media over-dramatizing stunting on the street and motorcycles in general. Motorcyclists make up a very small percent of the voting public...

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The media mis-representation is what I think does the most damage.

Certainly the 'stuntas' don't help - but over-dramatization and a lack of real-world analysis is the worst possible thing. People still 'trust' what they see - no matter how ridiculous.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ruefus said:
The media mis-representation is what I think does the most damage.
By far this is the worst. I wont say ive never stunted, thatd be a lie(momma always said...). But movies like torque and biker  boyz, although entertaining in their own way, create a stereotype of a rider that is as far from the truth as is imaginable.  

Hence those of you that are resposible all the time should continue leading through example so those of the younger generation, i.e. me, learn the proper responsibility of riding.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Stunting, Riding at 100+ mph on public roads, its all the same to me.
Motorists in cars see either behavior and it puts a bad image in their head.
Kinda ashames me that I ride a bike that resembles the one they saw...because its almost like they are directing their "smite" at me, expecting me to do something stupid as well....

·
Registered
324 Posts
They're all bad for our image.

This reminds me of that saying "it only takes one bad to wipe out 10 good" - or something like that. I think in the case of motorcycling, it takes more like 100 to make up for the one squid/stunta boyz. Consider the "Start Seeing Motorcycles" campaign - Riders who ride within their rights and within the rules of the road are frequently not seen by motorists, but the squids riding wheelies down the interstate at ludicrous speed definitely make themselves seen...by annoyed motorists no less.

What image do we as motorcyclists want to portray to the car motoring public? Image is for poseurs, just know MY rights on the road and leave me alone on the road and we'll all get along.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that Stunters are bad for motorcyclists' image, but I feel that it is mostly due to the media and stunting in public (ie, stupid riders). So I think that stupid riders (who may stunt on public roads, or ride at really excessive speeds, etc...) are definitely worse for our image than stunters per se.

If stunters only stunted on vacant private lots, and were safe riders on the public roads, I dont think they would be that bad for our image (maybe a little bit due to the dangerous nature of their stunting). Really, its the stupid riders combined with sensationalist media that contributes to the bad image.

btw, do you really think that lane splitting in stopped traffic is such a bad thing? I usually dont lane split myself, unless it is necessary for safety reasons (ie, last in line waiting at a red light on an off ramp, dont want to get rear ended by accident, so I move on up). Its legal in California of course (and illegal in New York where I live) but I dont see how lane splitting is all that bad so long as traffic is either stopped or going no faster than 5-10mph. If anything, it helps ease traffic congestion. Of course, drivers stuck in cars are going to be pissed.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Stunters and reckless riders need no help from the media. Blaming the media for printing news articles doesn't help public perception, but everyone I know has seen at least on instance of stupid behaviour on motorcycles. Some folks can see a thousand safe, sensible riders, but will remember the one maniac.

Worst instance where I live (although I didn't witness it personally) happened about two years ago: Four young men on motorcycles, (three sport bikes, one Harley), Sunday afternoon traffic on the interstate passing through town, traffic pretty heavy. They were going very fast, weaving in and out of traffic. At one point the two sport bikes in the lead pulled wheelies at high speed. One rear-ended a pickup truck with the bike almost vertical. The bike got airborn and somehow or other the Harley rider got underneath it. Both riders killed on the spot. The second wheelying rider lost control and went down hard. He was lucky enough to slide off to the edge of the road, losing a lot of skin in the process but sustaining no severe injuries. His bike wound up underneath a car. All this precipitated several other collisions from people trying to avoid the wreckage. Tied up that section of interstate for almost four hours (two deaths). The local media didn't sensationalize it, but did report it accurately. The one rider who didn't wreck fled the scene, but people got his plate number.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Stunters are worst simply cause they want to be seen riding a wheelie 100 yards past 50 to 60 cars going the other way or do stoppies at intersections to look cool. Where as stupid riders may only been seen by a few on back roads.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must admit I have seen quite allot of stunting on public roads and I don't go looking for it so I assumed others were seeing as much as I am but it isn't seeming so. So far in the past 7 days I have seen 3 gratuitous examples of stuntas. One was a guy ridding in a pair who pulled a wheelie at about 60mph and rode it right up some pickups ass, the other was a solo rider on a Hybussa going I would say 90 + weaving in and out of traffic going about and he was using both emergency lanes, the center lane splitting between cars and cutting in and out of cars (actually this guy really had so serious skills too). and a pair of riders both pull simultaneous wheelies at about 55....I see Gixer riders stunting more than most other model of bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I seriously find hard to believe that any sportrider (girlie bikes included) never goes wild in traffic.
Our bikes are so fast accelerating at 100mph that if we decide to overpass someone when look at the speedo it´s at least about 80mph.

Who never pulled a small wheelie? Or never had done a casual "stoplight race"? Who never rode in traffic at speeds considered insane for the most viewers?

About lane splliting, maybe we´re talking about different realities here (I´m in Europe),
but I don´t see any advantage of ridding for work if don´t lane splliting. About 45 minutes ridding to the city against 2 hours "sleeping" in the cage.

I´m not the stunta type but I consider myself a stupid rider many times.
I think we (riders) should care less about others think and try to be the most carefull possible even when we ride stupidly; after all it´s our body.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MarcoSA said:
I seriously find hard to believe that any sportrider (girlie bikes included) never goes wild in traffic.
Our bikes are so fast accelerating at 100mph that if we decide to overpass someone when look at the speedo it´s at least about 80mph.

Who never pulled a small wheelie? Or never had done a casual "stoplight race"? Who never rode in traffic at speeds considered insane for the most viewers?

About lane splliting, maybe we´re talking about different realities here (I´m in Europe),
but I don´t see any advantage of ridding for work if don´t lane splliting. About 45 minutes ridding to the city against 2 hours "sleeping" in the cage.

I´m not the stunta type but I consider myself a stupid rider many times.
I think we (riders) should care less about others think and try to be the most carefull possible even when we ride stupidly; after all it´s our body.
I think we may be talking about two different things here. There is a high level of seriously dangerous stunting in this country dude. Of course I have done the things you mention above. Here is my most extreem example I have seen of stunting in FL. I saw 3 riders on the type of bikes like the Star Boyz use, not sure if you are familiar with these guys, with like leopard and cowhide fur on them. These guys were doing hardcore organized stunting. Standing on their tanks, pulling huge wheelies were they are standing straight up on the pegs, you name it man in full 70-80mph traffic sometimes in areas with heavy construction and where it broke down to 2 lanes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Guess what? Here's a sportrider right here who's never popped a wheelie (even inadvertently), never weaved in and out of traffic and superlegal speeds, never lane split, and never "stoplight raced." Ever!

We're out here and I have a lot of other friend riders who ride just like I do. We don't go crazy, we don't crash, and we don't get tickets. And we still have plenty of fun.

You have to be careful to not make generalizations about what other riders may or may not do. I really hate it when people do that and its done way too often to support other rider's bad habits and behavior. I know that's not what you were doing here MarcoSA, but people do that a lot.

I never ride like a jackass on the street and I have a sportbike. I have no need to stunt and speed and ride recklessly to enjoy myself. Those who feel the need to do that (and feel the need to defend it by saying "everybody does it" are selfish, immature, and dangerous.

I agree that the media does exaggerate the situation. But they aren't the cause of it all. Its not at all a lie to say stunting and reckless riding are dangerous and out of control on our streets.They are. I see examples of it nearly every day here in Dallas, without needing to turn on the TV. Take a lap on the internet and its not hard to find many many sites selling videos of street stunting gangs. Making one of these videos takes months of stunting time.

The responsibility to make motorcyclists look good or bad is totally within our control. Be seen riding like an idiot on the streets and people will only feel that the media's portrayal of us is correct. Be seen riding responsibly and people will shrug off what the media says. And enough of that and the media won't have anything to write about and they'll go pick on someone else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MarcoSA said:

I share these thoughts.  

On lane splitting, it depends whether you're talking about weaving in fast moving traffic or splitting through traffic jams.  Why does it have to be considered "stupid" to safely pass stopped cars.  So people get mad and honk - f it.  They act like I'm doing something to them just because I'm taking advantage of my choice of vehicle.  Drivers have the advantage of "safety"(or so they think), riders have the advantage of fitting in smaller spaces.  I rarely have anyone show aggression to me for splitting, and it seems drivers may be becoming more tolerant as gas prices continue upward.

And about our image, I've had too many close calls involving ignorant distracted drivers to worry about what those people think about motorcyclists.  I ride so that I'm seen by drivers, and if that occasionally requires some slightly offensive maneuvering, so be it.  I'd rather get there alive and have upset a driver on the way than go down because I was trying not to make us "look bad".

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.
Kevin - your friend who put on his brake to purposely threaten the guy riding a wheelie is worse than any "stunta". No matter how wrong it may be, how could anyone who rides or knows someone who rides risk someone's life like that just because they don't want people doing it? He's taking a risk, being stupid, yes, but still, to try to take someone out it just wrong.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I really don't like either of them...both of them effect the more responsible riders out there. Motorcycles are already dangerous as it is, and the usual mentality of motorcycles are for tough guyz and ppl with bad reps. Hell try telling my asian parents that I'm getting a motorcycle and you'll never hear the end of it. Street Stunters needs to go to hell and stay there...cool their damn egos down man...who are they trying to impress by running dangerous stunts in the middle of the streets??? People like them just gives us a bad image instantly...What most people don't realize is this...the population today is very impressionable. Stereotypes are easily made and predispositions pops up everywhere. Its like people almost expect you to stunt just because you have a bike...this is such a bad image for responsible riders out there. Insurance is also a bietch when it comes down to it...the more other irresponsible ppl makes us riders look, the more we responsible ppl have to pay...If your gonna stunt or ride like a maniac, do it on the track...not in the middle of the damn streets...

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
i know guys that will pass cars doing a stand up wheelie doing 100+,that would make anyone in a car get a bad impression of motorcycles.to me,thats more stupid and damaging to us as opposed to lane splitting,or passing on the shoulder(as long as your not rideing like a maniac). I saw someone last night on their R1 doing a wheelie.They crossed the yellow,into my lane,by the time he et it down he was on the white line in his lane.But,i agree,they are both damaging to us other more mature riders,but what can ya do?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
IMO, street stunters ARE stupid riders. Let me clarify, this is my opinion of anyone who actively stunts on public roads that are currently used by the public at large.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts