Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a solo tail on their sv? i was considering putting one on my 04, maily b/c they look awesome. i just had a question. so i know i obviously lose getting in/out of my storage area, but do i have to bolt it on or can i use like quick realease something or other? also, do these come made where i dont need an undertail or do i still use mine?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Take a look over at www.sharkskinz.com I've been eyeing the street solo tail. I too think the solo tails look awesome. I cant really offer any answers though...

BTW I still have those pics of your bike, but my girl lost the cable to the camera...still love your bike though, its one of my favorite SVs so far.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
no quick release... i have one and its a biatch to get on and off. you can use stock undertail

pic (please ignore the overwhelming ghettoness of my bike):

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i really want to do something a lil different, and i love the look of the solo tail, so i think its gonna have to happen. evilbologna, my brother just got a digi, so im gonna put up some pics sooner than later. ive been meaning to, just hadnt had a digi.

·
Registered
186 Posts
wow, their solo tail and undertail package is nice and would look sweet with a thin LED brakelight setup...

Damn girlfriend likes to come along too much... :wink:

Q

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah screw the girlfriend!! im going lightweight subframe and solo tail. its a one man machine!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
why can't you cut the top off the solo tail, add some hinges on one side and some kind of locking mechanism on the other side. that way you have the look of the solo tail and access tot he storage

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
stranger said:
why can't you cut the top off the solo tail, add some hinges on one side and some kind of locking mechanism on the other side. that way you have the look of the solo tail and access tot he storage
yeah that would defeat the purpose of the whole thing...

Y

·
0 Posts
sicksv650 said:
i was actually looking at the solo tail from http://www.catalystracingcomposites.com/

the only thing is they have 03 sv650 listed, and i know they changed it for 04, so i take it that wouldnt fit with my bike?
Nope, you should get and 03 subframe and it will... youll also need those little plastic dingers on the side... and maybe a seat 8)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
wonderjosh said:
stranger said:
yeah that would defeat the purpose of the whole thing...
why? cause it flips open? or do you mean for racing/track purposes?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
the look of the solo tail is quite different from the cowl. much more rounded and sleek looking. but a simple cut and some hinges wouldn't detract from the sleekness of the solo tail, and still allow for trunk access.

now for the track, i can understand why cutting the solo tail into two pieces defeats the purporse of putting it on

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
stranger said:
the look of the solo tail is quite different from the cowl. much more rounded and sleek looking. but a simple cut and some hinges wouldn't detract from the sleekness of the solo tail, and still allow for trunk access.
unless done very professionally, cutting and making a door in the solo tail would look pretty ghetto, thats what i meant by defeating the purpose. i mean, youre putting the tail on to make the bike look cool, and then you go and hack it up so you can have like 5 square inches of storage space? just doesnt make a whole lot of sense in my opinion. there are plenty of sporty, sleek looking seat cowls out there if you insist on keeping your storage compartment. also, the solo tail is made out of race fiberglass, which is really thin, i wouldnt think the whole door & hinge thing would be very sturdy if you did try to do something like that.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Yellow Nudist said:
sicksv650 said:
i was actually looking at the solo tail from http://www.catalystracingcomposites.com/

the only thing is they have 03 sv650 listed, and i know they changed it for 04, so i take it that wouldnt fit with my bike?
Nope, you should get and 03 subframe and it will... youll also need those little plastic dingers on the side... and maybe a seat 8)
I thought tail sections were the same and they just changed seat and side covers on 04+ bikes

Y

·
0 Posts
The tail sections should have different angles on the lower portion that meets with the plastic side covers.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
You could just not use the side covers :p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like how the 04 tail doesnt point as high into the sky as the 03 does, so does than mean all tails listed for 03-04 will be 03 style?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts