Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/M...yna&model=fxdb&market=US&modelsection=gallery

I have really been into this Street Bob bike, I have never been real into cruisers but this one has been reelin me in. The only problem is when you get to the price, 13G's msrp, which means the Harley dealer will charge 14 or 15. even that is an inexpensive Harley, but tell me what you think, I think it would be pretty cool.

That link didn't go to the video I wanted but the mini site below it has a video that I liked on it

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, I kind of like it too. I wouldn't keep it stock, but then who keeps a Harley stock? Hopefully they'll add a Night Bob (or whatever the Night Train-Street Bob would be called) to the range, seems the logical next step.

Or for Scottish readers of a certain ae, a Fat Boy/Street Bob crossover- the Fat Boab.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
They didn't take it far enough, IMO.

Lose the rear fender brace and put on a shorter rear fender that hugs the tire.  16 inch wheels front & back with red-painted rims and fat ol' whitewalls.  A true tractor seat with a sprung seat post or at least a hinged front mount with big ol' bicycle seat springs out back.

Then you'd have a bobber.

Bill

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
would a gixxer 600 or a 100 shock be good for that one? :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, I think it's pretty sweet as well, I'm actually, kind of starting to lust after it. When I'm not riding, I think about selling my SV and my XR650 dual sport to get one, but then I ride them and I'm like, I could never sell either of these, or could I? I am going to look at a dealer when I get some free time, and see if they annoy me as much as when I looked at buying a Buell CityX. i.e the salesperson didn't know much about the bike, and wanted 10,000 for an 8,500 msrp bike. hopefully it was just the salesperson. I'm hoping that the one guy on this site that has the job test riding Harley's has put the "Bob" though its paces, and could give me a review.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just got off a Harley and can tell you unless you turn your own wrenches the service cost's will kill you. I did everything but the 10k service because it required special tools that I do not have. The last 10k I had done on the Road King cost over $600 dollars. The other fact is that parts and accessories are very expensive. You will also be disappointed in the power difference. Unless you are just into cruising the 88ci big twin is a dog compared to metric bikes. The cash required to suck any significant power out of this motor is in the $3-6k range. I rode a 103ci stroker on a Dyna Wide Glide a few months ago and it was pretty dang fast for a Harley but because it is air cooled you could not idle for more than a few minutes in traffic before it started acting stupid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I kind of came to my senses on that bike, I don't know if there is subliminal messages in those ads or what, but for a week I felt I just had to have it no matter the cost. I could get my (up to a week ago) favorite bike the Triumph Speed Triple and have a few thousand to spare. or I could get like two dirt bikes, and a 4 wheeler for the same price. Heck, name any other tech savy bike and it would be less expensive. If I had unlimited funds though... it would be fun.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Having just recently left the employ of a Harley dealership, I can tell you a few things. First of all, yes, they are technogical pieces of crap. The Twin Cam's are better than the Evo's - which is as far back as anyone should even think about going. BTW, the Extended Service Plan is worth it's weight in gold. Something I would NEVER say about any other vehicle. Also, supply and demand have leveled off to the point that you can actually avoid paying big dealer mark-ups. The Street Bob is new and therefore a more popular model, particularly in the Denim color (which does look pretty cool in person), but I know that in our dealership, people have actually paid LESS than MSRP for certain models. I myself plan to buy one, but I can do almost all of my own wrench-spinning. As someone said, the maintenance will kill you. There's a required service at 1K, 2.5K, 5K, and 10K. You have to do these to maintain your warranty's validity. The law says that no manufacturer can require you to do any work only at a dealer but you do have to be able to prove in some way that you did them. Video tape it, save receipts for parts, whatever.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dualsport- I've ridden the Bobber for consecutive days with 300+ miles each time in every real world situation at the Harley-Davidson proving grounds. The ergonomics of the bike do not fit me at all. I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs. The bike does handle well. The test riders that were shorter than me found it to be more comfortable. Another thing, the sixth gear is useless till 90 m.p.h.. When we had to do long runs on the high speed track I kept it in 5th gear to do speeds of 75-80 m.p.h. because of the engine vibration. 3000-3200 r.p.m. is standard cruising, but drop it a gear like I did and the r.p.m. goes to 3400-3500 and its a lot smoother. If they let you, test ride it. Around town wont do it, interstate it for 50 miles, you'll get a good feel for it by then. P.M. me if you need more info.

·
Registered
920 Posts
They need to make it look more like this:

C'mon Wille.....take a look around! Bobbers have been making a serious comeback for the last few years. There are plenty of examples out there that show what folks are looking for. The new model is nice......but like someone already said, it doesn't go far enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.