Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now the proud owner of a new set of Metzeler Z6 Interact tires. These replace the original 9 year old Metzeler tires that had about 10,000 miles on them and I am truly looking forward to testing them out.

The old rear tire had a very bad flat spot in the middle, bordering on breaking through to the cords. The front tire also had a flat spot and this is what is strange to me. This flat spot was offset to the left, beggining about 1 inch off center and was about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had something like that and what could cause this to be offset like that?

About 90% of my riding was done riding a total of 20 miles to work and back each day. There are an equal number of left and right hand corners between here and work. I asked the guy who swapped tires for me and he said he had never really seen anything like that, without an obvious reason like an accident or something. Any Ideas? I'd rather not do this to my new tires.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I will be awaiting a review on those new tires. I was just told about them today at the shop. Longevitiy is supposed to be the same but increased wet traction as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
maybe the roads the previous owner took had REALLY steep crowns, lol. My only guess would be running them over or under inflated.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
The old rear tire had a very bad flat spot in the middle, bordering on breaking through to the cords. The front tire also had a flat spot and this is what is strange to me. This flat spot was offset to the left, beggining about 1 inch off center and was about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had something like that and what could cause this to be offset like that?
You can flat spot a tire in may different ways and angles if you aren't using them more in a side to side action. I was able to put 3 flat spots on my old Diablo Supersport tires form daily commuting mostly. The corners that I did hit I was hitting them at the same angle every time thus creating a flat spot on the sides along with a flat spot in the center from the straight line riding I was doing.

But is sounds like the person who owned your bike must have made allot more turns on that one side then he did on the other. Just watch your tire PSI weekly and you'll love the Z6s!! I've already had 2 sets and they are quite the sport touring tire. The first gen Z6 was really great in the rain so I'm also sure the 2nd gen interact will be even more amazing with the added silica to them.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
About 90% of my riding was done riding a total of 20 miles to work and back each day. There are an equal number of left and right hand corners between here and work. I asked the guy who swapped tires for me and he said he had never really seen anything like that, without an obvious reason like an accident or something. Any Ideas? I'd rather not do this to my new tires.
equal # of left & right turns, BUT, here in the US, we ride on the righthand side of the road, left turns are longer than right turns, you are spending more time in left handers whether you know it or not

more left side wear is normal when you ride on the right hand side of the road and in countries where people right on the left, right side wear is normal

there have been many threads

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

Randy does have a point there.

SV fork slider tubes are very easy to bend. <ask me how I know>

Best bet is to take your forks off, buy the inner bushings and a new set of OEM fork seals and take them apart.

Roll your slider tube on some glass to see if they are bent.

No crease, you can get them straightened at any competent machine shop for under twenty bucks. If they have a crease where they mount to the triples, they are junk.

Those forks are due an oil change any ways given their age.
Good time to do springs too.

Difficulty scale ... about 6 out of ten for the whole job.

The 6 rating is because of tools needed to suspend the bike with no weight on the front while you work on it. Triple tree stand is perfect for that kind of job.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
equal # of left & right turns, BUT, here in the US, we ride on the righthand side of the road, left turns are longer than right turns, you are spending more time in left handers whether you know it or not

more left side wear is normal when you ride on the right hand side of the road and in countries where people right on the left, right side wear is normal

there have been many threads

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. I had never heard of nor seen evidence of this and that is what made it strange for me. It occurs to me now that back when I used to ride I was a VERY aggressive rider and usually had very uniform wear. I am now "older and wiser" (slower) which probably lends itself more to this type of wear pattern.

Thanks for the help to those who have offered up info.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:iamwithstupid:

Randy does have a point there.

SV fork slider tubes are very easy to bend. <ask me how I know>

Best bet is to take your forks off, buy the inner bushings and a new set of OEM fork seals and take them apart.

Roll your slider tube on some glass to see if they are bent.

No crease, you can get them straightened at any competent machine shop for under twenty bucks. If they have a crease where they mount to the triples, they are junk.

Those forks are due an oil change any ways given their age.
Good time to do springs too.

Difficulty scale ... about 6 out of ten for the whole job.

The 6 rating is because of tools needed to suspend the bike with no weight on the front while you work on it. Triple tree stand is perfect for that kind of job.
Thanks for the ideas. I don't actually see how the forks would be bent. It had 6000 miles on it when I bought it and I am very familiar with its past rider considering it was my Dad. It has never had an impact of any sort to the front. Anything is possible though.

I would like to put new springs in but I have just spent $300 on tires, $300 on a new helmet and about the same on a new firearm. I will have to settle for an oil chanage for now or I may be looking for new living arrangements

·
Registered
136 Posts
Camber. We who drive on the left get the asymmetrical wear on the opposite side. Also added factor of more aggressive turning left v. right at intersections.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Does not take an impact to bend fork slider tubes.

You can do it very easily on a low speed drop where the forks twist in the triples.

The metal is not very rigid.

I tweaked mine last summer on a low speed fall trying to make a curve at the JKForest near the Gap. If your handlebars or clipons are misaligned, your tubes are tweaked.

If you ride it for a month or so and take them apart, the bushings will show uneven wear. You can see this by the missing teflon on the copper substrate.

To put it simply, the dark gray/blackish teflon will be worn off and the copper underneath will show. This causes stiction. The inner bushing should be replaced everytime you crack the forks open, along with the new fork seals. Keeps the forks in pristine condition as these are the two most common wear parts.

Make sure you remove nicks and bumps from the slider tubes with emery cloth or steel wool as they will damage the new seals.

Straightening the slider tubes is an easy fix if you have a hydraulic press, V-blocks and a dial indicator from Harbor Freight. (someday when I build the workshop of my dreams)

·
Registered
729 Posts
This flat spot was offset to the left, beggining about 1 inch off center and was about 1.5 to 2 inches wide.

I asked the guy who swapped tires for me and he said he had never really seen anything like that, without an obvious reason like an accident or something. Any Ideas? I'd rather not do this to my new tires.
You mean something like this?

If you want to see some weird wear, check this out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts