Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly I've only owned the bike for a couple of weeks, and only been out a dozen or so times. But the last couple of rides I swear I'm hearing something I haven't before.

Best way to describe it is that it sounds like there's a helicopter hovering in the sky above me. Don't laugh, that's really what it sounds like! Only happens at speeds over 30mph.

Any ideas what it could be? Normal/ wind noise/ potential issue/ haven't noticed it before until now/ helicopter following me/ me going insane?!

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
A bit difficult for us to diagnose a problem that you only hear while riding and are unable to pinpoint the exact location where the noise is coming from.

Does it happen in every gear over 30mph?
Does it seem to increase with speed? Increase with RPM?

so many variables, so little information.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
The cam chain noise is well known. That might be what you're hearing. Get a friend to sit and blip the throttle while you walk around to track it. If you hear nothing check/adjust the drive chain.

As a member, have you downloaded the shop manual yet?

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
No, no strange noises on this one.

Actually it seems pretty mute to me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Could be wind noise or a weird buffetting of the helmet if it only happens over a certain speed. Do you ride with ear-plugs? They take the edge off of a lot of sounds and really help hearing the bike at speed (counter-intuitive, I know). Give it a shot and see if you can narrow it down with them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine doesn't make the same noise but I occasionally hear some light ticking. More so after I ride a few miles and then stop. Let it sit and idle awhile and it stops. Probably cam chain? I tend to over-analyze every little noise.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I know how to cure this. Apply a few layers of tinfoil to your head before you put your helmet on. That way the government helicopters can't penetrate your mind with their thought beams.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
I know, aliens are using bikers to experiment. You know, we're expendables.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Man I love this site! Always so helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts