Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few hours riding around this past saturday looking for some twisty roads. I really didn't find much, but this one corner scared me a little bit my first time through so I had to try it again.

It was in the middle of a field pretty much, so I felt pretty safe going fast through it.

Anyway, it's a very sharp left hander I come up on it about 30-35 and flick it over as fast as I could. It felt like the front end pushed or slid, though I can't imagine I flicked it that hard. Anway I got scared and stood the bike up real quick, other than the strange "roughness" from the front everything was ok.

I weigh at least 250 with gear and the suspension is totally stock. Could I have bottomed out the front? If so...I don't wanna push that hard again!

I'm pretty new at this...about 5k on my bike so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could be suspension related. At your size, the fork is way too soft. I recommend new springs and oil. If this is not possible, at least make sure your suspemsion sag is right. For your size, you need to have nearly max preload on both ends. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha ok guys. I know the suspension is pretty weak on these bikes. As my first bike I figurd I could get away with a season or two of riding before I found the the stock limits.

Looks like I am there.

I think this winter I'll probably be upgrading!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyway, it's a very sharp left hander I come up on it about 30-35 and flick it over as fast as I could. It felt like the front end pushed or slid, though I can't imagine I flicked it that hard. Anway I got scared and stood the bike up real quick, other than the strange "roughness" from the front everything was ok.
Thats exactly what happened. The quick flick caused the suspension to compress rapidly and put too much weight onto the front tire too quickly. The "roughness" you felt was the tire scrubbing sideways across the pavement.

Better tires will help. A bit of throttle will also help as it will transfer weight to the rear tire to take the pressure off the front.

It seems counterintuitive to give it more gas when the front is sliding but it does work. Its just hard to do cause your self preservation instincts are screaming the exact opposite. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts