Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got access to a (free) SM dragbar that's been crashed and is a little bent up. All the damage is essentially adjacent to the weld that connects one of the grips to the center tube. I know, this is poor description, and pictures are to follow. I'm wondering if I can have this straightened out and use it, or if the structural integrity has been to badly compromised.

Anybody with any experience doing something like this?

J

·
0 Posts
Even if you straighten it, it will still be weak in the spot where is was bent

·
Registered
68 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a set of Type 1 bars that I low-sided with and bent up the left side. A friend of a friend who has worked with metals all his life said it could be straightened, however, he would not do it because he was afraid that it would weaken the bar and eventually crack due to vibration of the bike. I decided a set of clip-ons would be my best bet. I'd rather not have my handlebar decide to snap as I'm rounding a corner hanging off at the track. ;D

Hope this helps,

-paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
e lo said:
So I've got access to a (free) SM dragbar that's been crashed and is a little bent up. All the damage is essentially adjacent to the weld that connects one of the grips to the center tube. I know, this is poor description, and pictures are to follow. I'm wondering if I can have this straightened out and use it, or if the structural integrity has been to badly compromised.

Anybody with any experience doing something like this?
First tell Jeff I said hi, then pitch that bar. I would not recommend un-bending it, due to possible structural issues.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much as I suspected. Thanks for the advice, guys. In the trash it goes.

And Zip, you got it in one. It's definitely Jeff's old bar. I would say hi to him for ya, but we haven't seen hide nor hair of him since he moved to Lansing a couple of months ago.

M

·
0 Posts
joker said:
Even if you straighten it, it will still be weak in the spot where is was bent
I agree. Do not take any chance ... get new handlebar instead. Safety first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts