Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I should provide some humor and tell you guys the story about my recent bike purchase up in CT and the brilliant idea I had to move it down to MD in a minivan. Pics below.

Also, I got a great deal from a fellow svrider.com member. Thanks John!

So the idea was to put this bike,

Into this minivan,

Removed windscreen and mirrors,

First attempt without any 'Ramp' support... (almost ended in disaster!)

Second attempt with RAMP support (spare Jacks 4tw),

Final Result (I know, overkill on the straps... just wanted to be sure, it didn't move an inch on the long drive back)

Conclusion:
  • It's easy to load the bike by yourself but you definitely need some help in getting it out.
  • Buy a proper ramp if you attempt to do this.
  • The 650S needed the windshield and mirrors removed... even so, had to lean it quiet a bit to get it through the back hatch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine fits in my van too.... but it ain't no minivan.

Untitled by highalti2d, on Flickr

nor is it an SV... haven't tried out the SV yet actually. It's in pieces.

Untitled by highalti2d, on Flickr
I like the van and your bike!

Also, why is that side stand down? I was told to make sure not to use the side stand when transporting the bike in the van?

·
Registered
26 Posts
OP, thinking of trying this with that 1x6 ramp is scary. I am glad to know this is possible if I ever get in a jam.
Alti2d that van is increadable. More info can be found where?

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
You can never put enough straps, if it makes the difference between a banged up bike (and car), and a trip without accidents, I think it's worth it. Good job :) the rampo tho is a little sketchy...

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
You can never put enough straps, if it makes the difference between a banged up bike (and car), and a trip without accidents, I think it's worth it. Good job :) the rampo tho is a little sketchy...
+1

There's no such thing as too many tiedowns.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey thanks all, that is a '92 Mitsubishi Delica. If you want to know more about the delicas, check out Delica.ca.

That is an aircraft hangar where I work, sharp eyes!

The side stand is down but isn't touching anything. I probably just forget it, but if a strap ever gave, at least I'd have something to slow it down on that side before going through the glass. I was also loading and unloading alone, so if I lost it, I planned to lose it to the kickstand side. :)

Loading and unloading has always been dicey in the van, more straps = better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is a ninja 250 in a first gen RAV4, there was still enough space to be comfortable in the passenger seat.

By the way, never use ramps like that, just lift up the bike, its pretty easy for 2 normal guys!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Whoa, nice fit!
But,What if you get in a wreck............i think you'd be wearin that bike on your back in that lil van.

I like my full size better, the Sv & pitbike fit nicely!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts