Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 sv650s
My bike has not been on for almost 1 month and its not gonna be on for a while yet. What are the must do's (or donts) when it comes to storage and/or simply not using the bike for a while. Specifically I heard that the battery can die. Personally im new to bikes so when I heard this battery is "maintenance free" I was surprised. I thought bikes has same types of batteries as cars. Eventually they die and need to be replaced.
So any tips, i'd appreciate it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Get a battery tender and put the battery on it. Maintenance free just means you don't add water to it periodically. You should also fill your tank with gas and put some stabilizer in it (the bottle should tell you how much), and top off the oil pan with oil (which is to say, overfill it - just be sure to drain it when you go back to start it). If possible, get the tires off the ground to prevent flat spots.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
If you want to keep the battery in good shape while not being used for a long period of time, get a battery tender/maintainer. They can be had for <$25 at places like walmart.
If you're storing the bike then I'd be sure to add some Sta-bil to the fuel, as well as a topped off tank of gas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy moly fast answers! I love this forums, noob's paradise.
Thanks guys.
Oh yeah I need to find the manual online (hopefully in pdf format)

As far as the tires, how about moving the bike around a bit once and a while? Will that help prevent flat spots?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Holy moly fast answers! I love this forums, noob's paradise.
Thanks guys.
Oh yeah I need to find the manual online (hopefully in pdf format)

As far as the tires, how about moving the bike around a bit once and a while? Will that help prevent flat spots?
Yeah, moving the bike around once in a while is enough, imho. I stored the bike over the winter in an above-freezing garage on a rear stand (rear wheel off the ground) and didn't move it from December till March. When I got back to it, the tires were still fine and the pressure had only dropped a couple PSI at most. Maybe I'm not enough of a racer type to know any better, but I had no problems whatsoever with flat spots.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
C'mon, it's a <400lb bike on tires with nearly 40psi in them. Do you really think that will create a permanent flat spot after sitting a while?

I don't get the overfill the oil thing either. Aluminum and steel don't really care if they have a film of oil or are submerged in oil. It seems like a waste of time and oil to me.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
pull the battery and buy a tender for it, they are about $30 and well worth it!

i'd check tire pressure, and if possible get rear and front stands so it doesn't make flat spots in the tires. also make sure the airbox is good and sealed, but more important make sure to check it before you run it after getting it out of storage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually just put my 01 away again for 4 month cause i am back over seas again. All i did was top off the fuel tank, ran stabil in it for 15 mins, put stands under it and coverd it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts