Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I got a more serious interest in bikes about a year ago when a friend of mine bought an '08 SV650. Now, I'm starting to look at bikes and gear myself. I'm hoping to finish up the paperwork and courses for my license in the next month or two, and hopefully have money for a bike by the summer.
Anyone have suggestions on where to start reading about bikes, and recommendations on a good starter bike?
-Peter

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
hello and welcome to SVrider.

first things first, glad to hear you are taking your class before getting something. knowing how to ride properly is the best knowledge you will obtain, aside from experiences.

do you have any experience at all on previous motorcycles, old dirt bikes as a kid...?

you will obviously learn how to ride at the class, but those are usually 200s or 250s. i learned to ride on dirtbikes. then last summer i got my endorsement and spent the summer on a 81 yamaha 250 enduro with the knobbiest tires possible. i grew extremely confident in my riding skills and techniques. if you have a friend with a dirt bike, i'd try to get some experience on that, possibly even before your class.

after/during your class you will learn for yourself and get an idea of what kind of bike you want. obviously, for logical reasons, it would be ideal to start out on something smaller. possibly a 500. i would consider the SV to be a good first "real bike" after havign experience on others.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
welcome to the forrum!

I took my MSF classes on feb (had no experience on bikes whatsoever) and bought a USED SV650, and I've been doing just fine. So I think you should be able to handle an SV too. Just be safe, and wear gear.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Hi pragone, Welcome to SVR. Do the MSF and get gear. Go check out all the bikes you're thinking about, sit on them see which bike feels good and what you can afford.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I've been going over gear with a couple friends of mine that ride, and reading about it myself, so my plan is to take the class, buy gear, and then find a bike. I'm hoping to find a nice, used but not POS bike to start out on (something preferably in the 2k range, that'll last me preferably this spring/summer/fall and next, at the very least). We'll see what pops up after I take the class and have my gear.
-Peter

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
peter,

that is a great way to do things. seems like a lot of people buy a nice bike, and then have no money left over for gear...leaves me speechless i guess...

enjoy your career on 2 wheels!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome.

As posted, great to see you are doing it all properly. I greatly enjoyed my MSF course, and I think everyone can benefit from the course.

Then sit on every bike you can find, and see what feels the most comfortable to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts