·
MOTORADOR
10,935 Posts
That's a very Italian Captain America!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I meant it to be a psychological help ... 😄
My friends invited me to join them for a ride on the swiss alps I knew I was not able to complete ... 65Km roundtrip with some 2500m vertical climb.
I tried technological doping: I shortened as much as I could all my MTB gears; then moved to chemical doping, buying all the cereal snacks, carbs and vitamins gel I could find then, as last resort, I gave psychological doping a try: I tried to persuade myself I was Captain America and I could do it, thus I showed up dressed like that.

Alas, it didn't work ... 😅

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's a german made Radon, somewhere between all-mountain and enduro (aluminun frame, 160mm front, 150mm rear travel) with quite open geometries, 4-pot Magura MT5 brakes, single chainring with 11V rear cogs.

I live in NW Italy, on the border of that big lake dividing Piedmont and Lombardia, some 40Km from the swiss border; mountainbiking is great: right out of my door I have up to 1500m high mountains within a 15 Km range, and for BIG rides there's always Valais Switzerland.

Reactions: Irishgirl

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some people (pedestrians) lack the self-preservation instinct and I wonder how they lived to be whatever age they are...

Anyways, when I decide to stop, either for a pedestrian, red light, or a stop sign, I don't stop in the middle of the lane. First of all: that's where you can find oil spills and it's a bad idea overall. If I'm in the right line, I pull further to the right. If I'm in the left lane, I pull further to the left. If someone comes in "flying" behind me, they have more space to go through, rather than ram through me, and I do have a better chance of quickly getting out of the way because I'm already close to the edge.

No method is full/foul-proof, but in all those years and miles driven, I haven't had real close calls. I have seen people drive right past me, almost knocking out the pedestrian, or running into an intersection on a red light... in all those cases I was relatively safely out of their way.

·
Super Moderator
7,014 Posts
Some people (pedestrians) lack the self-preservation instinct and I wonder how they lived to be whatever age they are...

Anyways, when I decide to stop, either for a pedestrian, red light, or a stop sign, I don't stop in the middle of the lane. First of all: that's where you can find oil spills and it's a bad idea overall. If I'm in the right line, I pull further to the right. If I'm in the left lane, I pull further to the left. If someone comes in "flying" behind me, they have more space to go through, rather than ram through me, and I do have a better chance of quickly getting out of the way because I'm already close to the edge.

No method is full/foul-proof, but in all those years and miles driven, I haven't had real close calls. I have seen people drive right past me, almost knocking out the pedestrian, or running into an intersection on a red light... in all those cases I was relatively safely out of their way.
I see your point.

My theory is to put myself directly in front of the driver - left of center in the lane - when stopped. I always keep my brake light lit when stopped, and feel I am most visible directly in front of the driver.

I'll also add - I have a red jacket and red/white graphic helmet. Nothing is a guarantee that you will be seen - but anything is better than black gear IMO.

Worked so far...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's a german made Radon, somewhere between all-mountain and enduro (aluminun frame, 160mm front, 150mm rear travel) with quite open geometries, 4-pot Magura MT5 brakes, single chiainring with 11V rear cogs.

I live in NW Italy, on the border of that big lake dividing Piedmont and Lombardia, some 40Km from the swiss border; mountainbiking is great: right out of my door I have up to 1500m high mountains within a 15 Km range, and for BIG rides there's always Valais Switzerland.
I have YT pro race, also long travel, 27.5, 160 front, 150 rear.
We have lots of mtb areas close to Sacramento mostly Auburn, Nevada City, Tahoe.
Here we are doing a 17' gap jump in Nevada City, part of Scotts drop, I'm the third rider. At 62 years old, crashes are now taking longer to recover.
New video by T J

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been twice to Frisco and north of the bay area, but never in Sacramento: it really looks a great area for mtb from the above video: there must be lotsa wood trails to explore.

Capra was the other option I considered when I passed my aluminum Radon to my son (I now ride the carbon version of it, Radon Slide Team Replica), anyway Capra is a great bike, definitely!
I chose to stay with Radon due to the fact that Capra geometries are a little too open for me, being it oriented more to downhill rather than all-around, therefore making it a bit harder to peddle uphill (I tested one of the earlier aluminum versions of Capra of a friend before deciding).

Don't even get me started about healing from crashes ... even though I'm slightly younger than you, riding with my son (who's 21 yo) unmercifully shows what's like healing from a crash at my age ... 😅

Reactions: Irishgirl

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
And that can be dangerous.
I have to park across the street from work and be there for 6:45am. I never expect anyone to stop for me to cross, and it always seems to be the last car (with no one else behind them) that does. I would be more worried about half-asleep, face in their phones/coffee commuters rear-ending me than stopping for someone to cross.

On a practical note, it takes more time to stop and wait for me to recognize that I'm being allowed to cross than if they had continued on by as the last car. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see your point.

My theory is to put myself directly in front of the driver - left of center in the lane - when stopped. I always keep my brake light lit when stopped, and feel I am most visible directly in front of the driver.

I'll also add - I have a red jacket and red/white graphic helmet. Nothing is a guarantee that you will be seen - but anything is better than black gear IMO.

Worked so far...
Like I said: no method gives guarantees, but we both seem to have figured out a way that works. A lot of people drive like idiots, without looking around, their faces stuck on their phones...

Generally being aware of your surroundings is better than looking only ahead and blasting music inside the helmet.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Like I said: no method gives guarantees, but we both seem to have figured out a way that works. A lot of people drive like idiots, without looking around, their faces stuck on their phones...

Generally being aware of your surroundings is better than looking only ahead and blasting music inside the helmet.
I started a thread a few years ago for people to post their strategies and reasoning/thought process. And people do quite literally opposite things with opposite but understandable reasoning and we all have been surviving on two wheels just fine.

I thought that was interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
We need to recognize that most people are not intentionally trying to kill us
First thought: SVRider is still around? (well HUH!)
Second thought: NO! You have to ride like they are trying to kill you. It's the only way you might still be riding at my age.

And they are trying to kill you, even if it's depraved disinterest.

Reactions: Jay V

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
I'm not running anyone over, if someone is IN the crosswalk I'm stopping. I'm referring to folks who are standing on the sidewalk wanting to cross, not folks in the street crossing.
I hate drivers who stop for me when I'm waiting for traffic to clear. I'm usually not waiting just for them and the other cars aren't stopping by magic. If I am waiting for the car that stopped it would have been faster if they just kept driving.

Makes me angry enough to hit them with my cane.

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
First thought: SVRider is still around? (well HUH!)
Hey, great to see you, BaBs!

Yes, there are a few SVR diehards still here trying to keep the candle lit.

It's been boring since you left. We need more snark. Please stop in more often. :)

Reactions: Jay V

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I hate drivers who stop for me when I'm waiting for traffic to clear. I'm usually not waiting just for them and the other cars aren't stopping by magic. If I am waiting for the car that stopped it would have been faster if they just kept driving.

Makes me angry enough to hit them with my cane.
No need to hate on them Born again. Not sure how it is in your area, not stopping here can get you a ticket, being the only reason some may stop.
Not long ago there was a sting operation in east sacramento, officers posing as pedestrians or officers setup to catch those who didn't stop for civilians.

·
Super Moderator
7,014 Posts
No need to hate on them Born again. Not sure how it is in your area, not stopping here can get you a ticket, being the only reason some may stop.
Not long ago there was a sting operation in east sacramento, officers posing as pedestrians or officers setup to catch those who didn't stop for civilians.
They do that here as well. If a person steps off the curb, and is in a crosswalk, you have to stop.

I never expect a car to stop, and never step off the curb when waiting. Just wait for a break. Someone stopping when they don't need to causes all sorts of problems, but of course they don't see that.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
I would need to know the law on that in CA covering people who are not in the crosswalk. Not walking towards the crosswalk. Not within 6' of the street or even looking at it.

You DO know CA has gotten a reputation as a dysfunctional police state. Not that every reputation is earned...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts