Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Use Bacon :)

Votes: 77 32.4%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better? I'm starting to need something to help hold on with. I ride with Textile overpants, and won't be doing any track days in the foreseeable future. I have read about tech spec having adhesive issues, and Stomp Grip being really abrasive to gear.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I say Tech Spec if nothing else than for the customer service. When I got my pads I ended up peeling off the adhesive because it was a little loose and I didn't realize I was peeling it off till it was too late. I emailed them and they sent me a brand new set, free of charge. I ride with textile pants all the time and they're great for grip but they don't tear up my gear.

FWIW - it does seem like mostly racers like Stomp Grip for the increased traction, on the street though Tech Spec does just fine.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I'll take abrasive over adhesive issues any day. I ordered a set of Stomp Grip tank pads yesterday without doing much research. I'm just in the experimental phase but I think I'd really benefit from them quite honestly.

Anyway, I highly doubt that some rubber tank pads are going to wear through racing leathers...if they do I'd start looking for new leathers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Stomp grip rules. Just dont get the clear I have worked for hours to get the bubbles out and cant get them all. If I could do it over I would go black. Also the only way your slipping up your tank with stomp grip is ripping your skin off or tearing your leathers. And the adhesive is awesome I have removed them from one tank and applied to another after a wreck and they still stick fine.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I had to cut some Stompgrips for my last bike. They didn't have an application for my NC30. I wasn't too impressed by how they turned out, and I also wasn't happy with trying to apply the clear without bubbles.

I got the Tech-Spec grips for the SV. I like that they are cut for the bike, and are black, so bubbles don't show, but I am disappointed in the amount of grip they provide. When the adhesive fails on these, I am definitely going to try the Stomps again, but this time in black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on the verge of buying Tech-Spec because they're black. Where are you guys finding black Stompgrips?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I currently have TechSpec pads, but would like to try Stomp Grip soon.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
i dont think bacon would help your tank grip problem... but its tasty and helps take your cares away :) but bacon, alot like stomp grips, should be applied to a clean surface with some heat....

·
Registered
375 Posts
I absolutely love, and would never give up, my StompGrips.

Before installing them I scrubbed the tank with Dish Detergent to strip any wax off the surface, then wiped with alchohol to be sure it was clean. I heated them with a hairdryer before, and during install. After that I used the "tennis ball method" to get a firm adhesion.

Followed up with a 24hr cure time in warm shop, and they are still bubble free after 8000 miles (including a lot of rain, and snow).

Regards
Darryl

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the tech spec snake skin and I love them. Been using for over a year 10k miles and no slippage or peeling whatsoever.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had to cut some Stompgrips for my last bike. They didn't have an application for my NC30. I wasn't too impressed by how they turned out, and I also wasn't happy with trying to apply the clear without bubbles.

I got the Tech-Spec grips for the SV. I like that they are cut for the bike, and are black, so bubbles don't show, but I am disappointed in the amount of grip they provide. When the adhesive fails on these, I am definitely going to try the Stomps again, but this time in black.
Have you ever tried spraying the tank down with water then applying the pad like you would a sticker? Then squigee the bubbles out. Or is that too hard to do with the texture of the stompgrip. I had a clear center pad and it ended up with tons of bubbles under it. I would like to apply it differently to see if it helps.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Have you ever tried spraying the tank down with water then applying the pad like you would a sticker? Then squigee the bubbles out. Or is that too hard to do with the texture of the stompgrip. I had a clear center pad and it ended up with tons of bubbles under it. I would like to apply it differently to see if it helps.
I have a clear center pad and it was pretty easy to apply with zero bubbles.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have and currently use both.
The techspec snake skin is on my street bike. I took it to the track a few times also. For the street, its great. it doesnt move around, and it keeps me from sliding forward under braking. Provides a little bit of grip when hanging off. It looks clean on the bike. visually appealling.
The stompgrip is on my track only bike. It has shifted position a bit under heavy braking. It grips VERY well, better than the tech. i feel glued to it when hanging off. but it looks disgusting. little knobbies sticking out, ugh. I can imagine how it would be a little painful wearing only textiles too.

if your just a commuter and/or weekend twisty guy, then the tech would be the better way to go imo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had Stompgrip on a few bikes, and Tech-spec on my GS track bike. The Stompgrip just won't stay put, no matter how well I prep the surface. It moves when you really put some sideways torque on it. The Tech-spec stays in place, covers a nice big area, and holds me in place just fine. I'm going with Tech-spec for my future grippy needs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts