Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying another sv650 but someone attempted to steal it and destroyed the ignition lock. The current owner bought a generic ignition lock but now the bike only turns over but will not start. Ran fine before, assuming they only messed with the lock, what could be the cause? Immobilizer?

·
Registered
616 Posts
He may not had wired it right. These old bikes dont have immobilizers. May need to get an oem ignition lock. But the crooks may had damaged other wires also. Like the clutch interlock (but that wouldnt allow the engine to even turn over) or some wires from the start/kill switch pod. Personally I'd look for a different bike unless its being sold for $500.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
There's a resistor (100ohm, I think) in the ignition lock assembly wiring, without that the bike won't start. You can wire the resistor in and use the aftermarket ignition switch. I want to say that it's inline with the orange wire that goes into the switch, but it's been a long time since I've done that on race bikes. I'm sure a search can find a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Yep, resistor probably missing. 100ohm 1/2 watt between orange red and ground wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts