Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- I searched for this but only found shyt on aftermarket undertails......
I'm doing a homebrew fender eliminator and to me it seems the only way to remove the stock undertail assembly is to pop those plastic rivits? Is that how you do it? The under the rivits there are some bolts or something?
I praticed on one of the rivits by popping out on just behind the passenger seat.......putting it back in was bitch. I don't see how you can put the ones on the underside of the tail back in.....there is no place to get your fingers so you can reach to the back of the rivit. Any ideas??? ::) Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on guys i know some of you have had to have done this! I'm on a tight time budget, help me out!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yea, pop the rivets out. I didn't have a hard time getting them back in, I'm not sure why you're struggling?

Edit: Actually, what rivets are you talking about? The only rivets you need to pop out are on the underside of the tail plastics. I beleive there are either 4 or 6 if memory serves me correctly. These are right next to the black plastic that collects all the dirt and whatnot that gets flung up from the rear wheel. You do not need to remove the rivets on the top of the tail, behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
to put them back in you push the inner piece out so that where you would stick the screw driver ( or what ever in) to get it out is sticking out. then just push it back in and push in the center piece until its flush with the rest of it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, this is proving to be a PITA. I first removed the rear seat and cleaned out all the junk I had in there. I then popped out 4 little plastic rivits on the underside of the tail. I see two other rivits right up against the tailight where the taillight meets the fender thing, and those are hard to get out. I did, and nothing is happening. So I removed the rear grab bar trim piece that has two 1/2" bolts and removed the two plastic rivits that are on the front of the exit of the rear passenger seat. Still nothing happens. I have also disconnected the turn signals. NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!! I think I'm going insane!!!!!! I tried pushing, pulling, prying, beating, everything. I don't want to scratch the paint and I don't want to break anything (I tend to be hamfisted) so I have to end up buying a replacement part, because the whole point of this DIY fender eliminator is to be free! So please, can anyone help me some more??? I feel so helpless........

Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay guys, you gotta help me! I dieing here!!! Anyone got any ideas?? Did I mess up somewhere with the removeal? Throw me a bone, anything!

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dave-

I just put on a new undertail and here is what i did to get the old one out. I am emailing this to you as well.

1- pop the rivets (press in on the center of the rivet with a screw driver and they should slide right out)
2. remove the side covers by the frount seat.
3. remove the rear seat, and the front seat (front seat is removed via a of allen heads under the side covers).
You should now see the entire plastic exposed. you do not need to remove the rivets by the tailight as the tail light comes off with the plastics.
4. disconnect the electrical (tail light, turn signals, plate light, and i disconnected the battery just to be safe.
5. remove the bolts for the grab bar.
6. there is another rivet just behind the front seat, and a small screw remove these to allow the plastics to seperate and spread when you remove the plastics.
7. there is a set of botls by the front opf the rear seat, and a set under the front seat if memory serves ( i am walking through this in my mind while at work)
8. once all these pieces are removed you should be able to spread the front of the plastices and remove the tail section.
9. now you have to access all the little bolts that hold the snow shovel and other materials together.

that should do it, good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Greg and Jim for the help. It is greatly appreciated. I hate starting a project then having to stop in the middle of it. That's how stuff gets lost and you get side-trackted. I know from experience. Once again, thank you.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts