Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was leaving work today and stopped at a stop sign just outside the parking garage..temp about 58F and tires were cold. As I crossed the intersection I got on it about 3/4 throttle once on the other side and about 20 feet past the intersection I felt the back tire break loose and drifted to the right about 2 - 3 inches. The engine revved to what was probably redline sort of quick but not super quick. I estimate I was running about 20 when it broke loose and accelerating pretty good. Luckily the tires acted like they were on dirt and stopped spinning and straightened the bike up before I had time to really come off the gas a little. It happened so quick but felt controlled (kinda wierd I know). Either way I didn't think that once rolling that the stock tires would break loose that easy even cold. It accelerated hard at first then broke loose..maybe there was some oil on the pavement. All I know is everytime these tires slid they didn't make any noise and same went for today when it broke loose, it felt like I was on my dirtbike for a sec. Luckily no high side resulted in it though!

Guess it is time for the Pilot's or will they do the same thing until warmed up?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey! Glad you got lucky and didnt high sider. I know what you mean about the stock tires though. I wouldnt think you will have that problem with the powers, ive run them and never had that problem.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I did that allot with my stock rear. The street was a little slick and the tire was cold. I did it on purpose allot even though I was shunned by a coworker of mine. It was fun and controlled. If it was oil that caused it to slip it would have hooked up hard rather than smooth. I say that from experience. I wouldn't worry about your tires. Just don't try to be too agressive in turns or stopping until they've warmed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do that all the time for fun... The pilot powers will do the same thing, but it takes more to break them loose.

The pavement around here is so slick it's pretty easy to slide around everywhere.

-josh

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Newdriver said:
I do that all the time for fun... The pilot powers will do the same thing, but it takes more to break them loose.

The pavement around here is so slick it's pretty easy to slide around everywhere.

-josh
Newdriver isn't kidding. You almost have no choice but to learn to drift on a bike there

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definetly don't mess around in the turns until I know they are good and warm. It did bring a little smile too my face when it did drift slighlty though and a little sigh of relief at the same time lol. Told my wife tonight that after I pay off some of the gear and stuff (didn't mention the new exhaust because she doesn't know how much it cost :p) I was getting new tires asap. Does the slight weaving on the road help warm the tires up faster or just driving straight work just as good?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bbmxta said:
I definetly don't mess around in the turns until I know they are good and warm.   It did bring a little smile too my face when it did drift slighlty though and a little sigh of relief at the same time lol.  Told my wife tonight that after I pay off some of the gear and stuff (didn't mention the new exhaust because she doesn't know how much it cost :p) I was getting new tires asap.  Does the slight weaving on the road help warm the tires up faster or just  driving straight work just as good? 
The weaving does not warm up your tires at all.  There have been tests that have proven that it makes no noticable differences.

When was the last time you saw Rossi weaving back and forth on a warm up lap?

ShaggyZ said:
Sounds like he is learning
The way he is learning is a good way to cause premature tire wear.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AvidSV650Rider said:
Sounds like you need to learn how to read your tires.
I realize you have over 3000 post but could you not be such a jerk about the answer??

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bbmxta said:
I realize you have over 3000 post but could you not be such a jerk about the answer?? 
Sorry, don't mean to come off crass.  But what you do expect your cold tires to do when giving them 3/4 throttle from a stand still? I just don't understand why you'd want new tires because your current tires don't perform well when not warmed up.

Not warming up your tires properly will cause excessive premature wear.  I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I have pilot powers and they will slip in same type of situation if street is cold and tires are cold... they are a million times better than stock tires... but you still have to get some heat in them before getting aggressive with the throttle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I remember the first time I experienced the rear tire spinning on a motorcycle. Usually, I start the bike and ride it immediately. Typically everything gets warmed up nice before I start getting frisky. This one time it was about 40 degrees outside and I started the bike and didn't ride immediately since I was sitting in the parking lot chatting with a friend. Eventually I left and by this time the motor was fairly warmed up.

I was getting on a freeway and rolled on it hard. Shifted into 2nd fully expecting the front wheel to pick up but instead the rear started spinning. Luckily the bike tracked straight and I was able to gently ease off the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Personally, I don't believe the Dunlops will ever warm up when it gets below 40F.

That is why I am getting rid of mine when they still have a lot of life left in them.
I don't like how they handle when it is cold out. They won't warm up.
Since I live in the NorthEast, and I can't change that, I will change the tires.

The other thing I don't like about the Dunlops is there is no warning on slipping.
I have not experienced it with the Michelins yet but I am told that it is predictable once
you get used to the tire.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Currently said:
Personally, I don't believe the Dunlops will ever warm up when it gets below 40F.

That is why I am getting rid of mine when they still have a lot of life left in them.
I don't like how they handle when it is cold out.  They won't warm up.
Since I live in the NorthEast, and I can't change that, I will change the tires.

The other thing I don't like about the Dunlops is there is no warning on slipping.
I have not experienced it with the Michelins yet but I am told that it is predictable once
I just did a couple hours at 36 degrees and my Avons performed pretty well. They may be worth looking at. I remember when I had Pirelli Diablos in these temps and they weren't so great - hard to keep heat in 'em.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info avid , I wasn't at a stand still..I must have explained wrong..I was already accelerating around 10-15 and once across the intersection I was in 2nd then got on the gas at which time it accelerated hard then started spinning after it was in the middle of the hard acceleration whiich struck me as wierd instead of right when it hit the powerband hard....oh well live and learn, just glad nothing bad came of it.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Currently said:

I don't like how they handle when it is cold out. They won't warm up.

I run D208 's and I have been riding in weather down into the 20's with them, once I get em warmed up I dont have a problem. What kind of Dunlops do you have? Any tire will slip if its not warm, even sticky tires.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My D220s used to spin up pretty easily in the winter too. Even around here in Texas. After about 15-20 minutes of riding though they were better, but not great. In the summer it was more like 5-8 minutes.

I haven't had any problems with my Pilot Powers, then again I still take it easy when first heading out in the cold.

You just have to accept that you can't get on the throttle in cold weather until you've been riding for a while. With any tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts