Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a couple track days this year with my completely stock setup, with just the proper preload settings front and rear. I weigh about 147 in gear + or - and the bike seems to be tracking well and im getting good feedback. Tire wear seems to be good but im not that fast yet either. Do I continue to run the stock suspension until im to fast for it or am I just retarded :dontknow:

pics of tire wear after the first trackday:

Rear

Front

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Tire wear looks fine, you are light enough that the stock suspension is stiff enough for now but eventually you will want to get a proper shock and have the forks set for your weight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rebound is off slightly, but not really an issue for your pace. With enough seat time, you will be able to out ride the stock suspension and the suspension issues will be obvious. You will be able to bottom out the forks under braking with little effort and the rear tire will really show wear problems if you know what to look for. Plus the stock shock is short for track use so it wont turn as well as it could.

When you feel the bike is holding you back or you want more confidence, I would look at putting a proper shock on the rear and appropriate spring rates front and rear.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Good suspension that is well tuned inspires confidence. There's not really a well defined point where you can say: "Ok, now I'm good enough to need better suspension". IMHO keeping your bike equipped with the best suspension you can afford will pay off no matter what your skill level.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good suspension that is well tuned inspires confidence. There's not really a well defined point where you can say: "Ok, now I'm good enough to need better suspension". IMHO keeping your bike equipped with the best suspension you can afford will pay off no matter what your skill level.
Agreed.

Another reason: Once you learn to ride a bike with crappy suspension, all you know how to do is ride a bike with crappy suspension. Upgrade the suspension and now you gotta figure it all out again. There are a lot of things you can do on a bike with good suspension that you can't on one that's a pogo stick.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So I "stole" the girlfriends CBR600rr to go coach on yesterday...stock suspension, little time spent on tuning it (she's a slow novice rider and happy there) my race SV has had the suspension dialed in over the last 4 years....

I spent most of the day screaming TURN PIG TURN!!! inside my helmet....

Moral of the story...once you ride a bike with a well setup suspension (read penske double or triple in back, right springs and emulators up front) you will find yourself going - What the hell was I thinking.....and never go back hehe

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
All of the above . I am gonna let one of my competition ride my SV this weekend at HPT he rides a pig ( Buell ) I think I can change his mind ! Wonders why I beat him by 2-3 seconds in GT LTs !

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
You don't have to be fast to benefit from better suspension - especially if you ever end up riding on rough/bumpy tracks.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
With better front suspension, you will be able to brake later going into corners. With better rear suspension, you will be able to get on the gas earlier, driving out of corners. After a few track days, I would think that you're ready for both of these improvements.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So I "stole" the girlfriends CBR600rr to go coach on yesterday...stock suspension, little time spent on tuning it (she's a slow novice rider and happy there) my race SV has had the suspension dialed in over the last 4 years....

I spent most of the day screaming TURN PIG TURN!!! inside my helmet....

Moral of the story...once you ride a bike with a well setup suspension (read penske double or triple in back, right springs and emulators up front) you will find yourself going - What the hell was I thinking.....and never go back hehe
I rode my street SV recently with stock boingers and had the same thoughts.

Once you ride on the good stuff you won't want to ride with stock anything again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts