Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2003 SV650S around beginning of May and I have sorted out all the normal fluid swaps, clean air filter, chain/sprockets and such. I am now wondering what suspension setting is good for me. I weigh 145-150 with gear. I believe the front is entirely screwed in. On the rear I get bucked off on some bumps.

I am not entirely sure what setting the rear is, but I figure if I am getting bucked off it is safe to back off it some.

Does anyone know where I can find a weight/setting ratio guesstimate. I know everyone is different and will have a different preference, but I guess in the end I will have to do trial and error towards what I like feeling.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
if you want to get into depth with it, search on her or on youtube for sag measurement

if not, then yeah at your weight, id back both ends off little by little until you like it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to do the second option and take advantage of a race school here in Texas offers suspension tuning for you at the track.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Front and rear sag is about all you're going to be able to adjust on your bike, and it's easy enough if you just do a YouTube search for Dave Moss' videos. He walks you through it.

However, the larger issue here is that the SV just has crappy damping rod forks out front and a pogo stick out back; to top it off, you have zero rebound or compression damping that you can adjust.

Get your sag where it should be, but you're not going to be able to address the "bucking" issue without some suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=trackside.services

But on second thought lol I just saw there is a price tag. I think I'll muddle through sag videos after all unless I am feeling shelling out dough. Or I can justify saving money on other things to spend on them doing it for me.

Ex. - I change my own tires that saves me more than $40.00
- Use less toilet paper
- Eat out less
- the list can go on

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm 145 in gear. I spent the time and effort to get the preload set for my weight but you can cheat and use mine. The settings are the middle ones both front and rear. I installed Ricor Intiminators in the forks because the bike was unstable over sharpish bumps. It pretty much fixed the problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so until you do that it's still a poor suspension
It's still that poor even being a lightweight?

I'm 145 in gear. I spent the time and effort to get the preload set for my weight but you can cheat and use mine. The settings are the middle ones both front and rear. I installed Ricor Intiminators in the forks because the bike was unstable over sharpish bumps. It pretty much fixed the problem.
Thanks solarae, I'll give that a shot for reference and also google up ricor intiminators

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
for the forks, springs and oil is a good, cheap start.

for the back, an aftermarket is the best option, but a donor is ok too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my previous ride a 2005 Ninja 250 I swapped the rear with a zx6r shock and it made me realize how cruddy the front was. When I do it I want to do it all in one go.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since when is 150 considered a lightweight? Sounds like average or maybe slightly below average weight to me. From what I've read on here, seems like stock suspension is "good" up to a ~130lb rider so you probably should consider the springs and oil upgrade as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hiit up sonic springs and Rich suggested I use 80 spring rate with 15wt fork oil. I tried the spring calculator and that one suggested I use 90 for racing. Should I do an in between and snag an 85kg spring rate?

How much do front fork springs play in handling?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I would go with Rich's recommendation. Did you tell him for street riding or for track? If the spring rate is too soft for your wgt, the forks will compress and bottom out very easily and give you a pogo ride. You only have the fork oil wgt to slow the rebound down. Too stiff and the forks will barely move and the tire will lose contact with the road to put it simply. If your front end isn't stable, there is no handling. Small differences in spring rates probably don't make a huge difference, but each spring rate covers a range in rider wgt. Besides wgt, how aggressive you ride and the type of road surface you ride on will also determine spring rates used. Rich is best to answer your questions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I told him track would be a once or twice thing based on my schedule so I assume he picked a comfort spring rate for me that would be suitable for track day once and awhile but is also functionally better than stock. If I were to full blown track my bike I assume I would do the front end swap. Thanks RMAN and others

·
Registered
159 Posts
A great reference if your going to set up your own bike is the race tech suspension manual. You can get it on their website.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts