Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked just bought my 2006 sv650n and I have a 100 mile ride home. I opt for the scenic route home as opposed to the highway its about the same distance and time either way. After the first 25 miles of in city driving we stopped for a 20 minute break, (the wife and my daughter in the car). I was feeling pretty good about the new bike and all. We get back on the road and 30 some miles later my ass is freakin' killing me. We stop and rest get a burger and sit for a while. Back on the road and 30 miles later a storm starts in on us. The temperature drops from 70s back in the city to 45 degrees. So we stop in the middle of nowhere and take another 5 minute break. By now I'm cold, a little stiff, and my ass is really killing me. Well the last 30 miles was like the home stretch.I was so happy to get off that seat.
I didn't think that 100 miles in the saddle was going to be so painful. I don't see myself making the 100 mile ride too often. I want to know if the sv gel-seat is that much better than stock or if the corbin seat is worth the extra $$$.
thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what I have heard to Corbin or Sargent seat is a big difference between the stocker and gel. The gel is a step up from the stocker though. I know on my DR650 the stock one was like sitting on a bed of nails that were on fire, and the gel one was no better. Got a Corbin and could do 300 miles a day no problem on the butt.

Foxracer

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have not tested a Corbin seat but I have the gel seat on my sv1000 and its a KAAAZZZILION times better. It has great support for even the longest rides. The only con I have seen with mine is it tends to get hot when sitting in the sun, but I can deal with it. Its a sh!t ton cheaper than the Corbin too.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I think I'm the only person in the world that likes the stock seat better than the gel. :dontknow:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, for now (1200 mi on my svs) I'm with newt. Haven't had too much discomfort with the stock seat, however my riding has been pretty aggressive and I'm moving around quite a bit. I did some research about other seat options and this is what I found:

Gel seat is better than stock, but has a tendency to get VERY hot-can find for less than $100 new. I've seen members on this board willing to trade their gel seats for stock seats, that'd totally be the way to go if you want a gel seat.

Corbin-better than gel- can be had on eBay for $115-160. Sells for about $190 new.

Sargent- best you can buy- about $300 brand new, haven't seen any used for sale yet.

Of course in the end it's completely subjective, see if you can try different seats out before you buy (good luck with that).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've never had a problem with the stock seat, in fact I traded it back in from the original owner's Sgt. low. All my discomfort has been from the riding crouch.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I started out with stock and found my butt was hurting after about 30 minutes of riding. Bought a used corbin and have never looked back. My friend has a gel seat on his sv and likes it as well. Both of us have gone on 500+ mile trips on them and have no complaints.

I've also heard good things about greatdaytoride.com, which is a guy who will refab your stock seat with better material. Not sure how much it costs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
On moderate rides around 100 miles, I really don't mind the seat too much. I make a ~300 mile ride a few times during the season and can get by with two breaks just fine. I have thought about a gel seat but could never justify the high price of some of the other options, though they may be worth it to some.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I dunno...I think you just get used to it after riding for awhile. The stocker is comfortable for my ass most of the time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just hacked my sat last week. Shaved it to fit my bum better, and did a 1/2" of low density foam, then recovered with the original covering....no more numb girlie parts!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I've also heard good things about greatdaytoride.com, which is a guy who will refab your stock seat with better material. Not sure how much it costs.
I highly recommend talking to Spencer at greatdaytoride.com. I got my seat done by him and it is so much better. A few hundred miles doesn't bother me in the slightest now. To get my seat modded and pay for shipping both ways was ~$100.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I started out with stock and found my butt was hurting after about 30 minutes of riding. Bought a used corbin and have never looked back. My friend has a gel seat on his sv and likes it as well. Both of us have gone on 500+ mile trips on them and have no complaints.

I heard the same stuff about Greatdaytoride and just recently sent my seat to him. Unfortunately he determined that my '99 seat was 'unfit for modification'.

His words: "With your seat cover already damaged and dried out it is not able to be removed and reinstalled, therefore your seat is not fit for modification."

The seat cover doesn't appear damaged to me in any way. When I asked him if he could just replace the foam and I'd recover the seat when it got back to me he replied that he wouldn't send back a seat that wasn't ready to ride.

So, I spent $25 to ship my seat around for two weeks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same trouble with the stock seat. 30 minutes and the soreness sat in. We pulled off the vinyl, cut a well in the stock seat foam, and inserted a piece of gel from a car/stadium seat from WalMart. Difference is incredible. I wrote up the procedure, and it's somewhere on this site. It has been a while so I don't remember the thread...,

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think I may have convinced myself to buy a Corbin this week. I hacked a spare SV1000 seat with extra firm memory foam from CalSci, enough to do the important part of the seat front to back. I had a pro shave it and build in his foam to give me about 1" extra height, and restretch the plastic.
Then I found that the SV1000 seat was just slightly different. I was still able to mount it, and the rear stubs mounted into the wells right, and the tank mated, but the bolt holes did not line up and there was a bit of space below the seat that was not there with the stocker.
So..... I added some high density foam below the seat to take up the space (I cut up a gym mat) and zip tied the bolt holes together till I can make a link, and rode for a week on what felt like an extra firm matress. It was initialy not as comfortable as the stock seat because it was harder, but no presure points developed, and a little movemtn back and forth made a significant change in how the seat fit, allowing for variation.
That might have been the end of the story, but today on my way to work, wearing the 3/4 length jacket due to some cool weather, the zipper fob caught on the seat and ripped it a little. I think I can fix this weth black RTV, but I also think I want a quality leather seat, hence, I expect to order the Corbin, and maybe it will come before I head up to Massachussetts in a couple weeks.
Barry

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I did 100+ yesterday just to get away...I had to get off @ 50mi just to stretch out, butt wasnt too numb but my first 50+ mi ride on it was.
I'll give my stock a chance & see how it fares during/after my trip to NM next month.

Good to see all my choices tho! thanks for the posts guys!

·
Super Moderator
9,057 Posts
I had my custom seat for my 2003 naked made at
http:http://www.billmayersaddles.com/october25homepage.html//

They are expensive, I think I paid $400 just for the solo seat. If you live in So Cal, you can do a 'ride in' and have it custom fit while you wait. They really do tailor it to your butt.

Butt burn affects some people more than others. My wife has zero problem, yet I'm sensitive to the extreme. I'm tall and thin which means I have more weight pressing down on less personal padding. She on the other hand is shorter with much nicer god given cushion. ;)

Softer cushion and gel seats help to eliminate hot spots, but don't help the fundamental issue of pound per square inch pressure, pushing on your tissue.

If you double the area of butt/seat contact, you cut the pressure in half. It doesn't make as much difference how hard or soft the seat is, it's more about how much contact area you have for your given weight. I very hard seat can be extremely comfortable if it makes even contact with a large area of your butt.

If you have a real problem with butt burn, as I do, the real fix is to go with a seat the gives you more seat contact to distribute your weight over the larger area. To get this, you pretty much have to have 'wings' added to widen the seat. They don't look so sexy, but it really does work.

I still have some discomfort even with my 'winged' custom seat, but it's much improved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I finally decided to do something about my stock seat. The heat and sun had made the vinyl brittle and had developed some serious cracks. I shaved off nearly 3/4" off the main seat, and rounded out the rough edges. It feels much better ergonomically, but I still find myself sliding forward onto the tank. Inserts of lower density foam or even memory foam would probably help drastically, as the stock foam still seems a bit too firm over time.
The pillion seat also got shaved down a little, but mostly for cosmetic reasons. I always thought it looked to large for the tail section of the bike. It still looks big, but it seems to flow a little better with the bike.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Stock seat is teh suck. :(

I've got over 3,000 miles on my Corbin now, and can easily put 300+ miles a day on it w/o complaint.

Corbin = Great product; abyssmal customer service. Find a used one if possible to avoid dealing with them. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well, for now (1200 mi on my svs) I'm with newt. Haven't had too much discomfort with the stock seat, however my riding has been pretty aggressive and I'm moving around quite a bit. I did some research about other seat options and this is what I found:

Gel seat is better than stock, but has a tendency to get VERY hot-can find for less than $100 new. I've seen members on this board willing to trade their gel seats for stock seats, that'd totally be the way to go if you want a gel seat.

Corbin-better than gel- can be had on eBay for $115-160. Sells for about $190 new.

Sargent- best you can buy- about $300 brand new, haven't seen any used for sale yet.

Of course in the end it's completely subjective, see if you can try different seats out before you buy (good luck with that).

In police work, they call that a "clue"....... ;D

I have the seargent, my but is not sore. done over 1000 miles in 3 days on it once.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts