Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got over 6,000 smiles on the tires now. I was wondering about wear bar location and how many more miles I may get out of the rear tire. The front tire looks in pretty good shape, but the rear is definitely showing wear in the center of tire.
Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Look for the wear bar indicator(triangle) on the sidewall of the tire and follow it to the wear bar on the tire. When the wear bar is equal to the plane of the tire, it is time for a new tire. When you get close to that level just keep your eye on it as you don't want to run too long on worn tires. 6000 out of the Dunlop is probably lower than most for that tire but it all depends on what type of riding you are doing. If you are doing hwy and a lot of non sport riding than maybe 6000. I got about 9000 out of my rear 220 and being a newbie, it was mostly straight line riding.

hope that helps,

John

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A1A-- Keep in mind that tread wear indicators are only one way of gauging whether or not to replace a tire. If the tire is substantially flattened or scalloped across the center from straightline riding and creates a noticeable wiggle when taking corners, you may want to change the tire out regardless of the TWI. The hard reality is that the vast majority of riders are going to wear the center much faster than the edges. I wonder if tire engineers have an accurate estimate of how long the average tire spends completely upright, maybe 98% of the miles?

Don't mean to sound preachy, and if you already had this angle covered I'll slink back into my corner and hang my head in shame... :-[

·
Registered
476 Posts
i had 10k miles on my original d220s when i took them off. they were not at the wear bars yet (not even close) but the more miles i put on them, the more they began to feel like junk. the regression was the worst during the last 500 to 1,000 miles i had them.

most of my miles on the 220 were commuting/highway and i probably could've ridden them to 15k before getting to the wear bars.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohnEsv,
I found the wear bar indicator like you said. I may have another 1,500 to 2,000 miles before the wear bar is flush.

JesseH,
Very good point and I check my cold tire pressures weekly.

Six Chin Skinny,
I believe tire wear depends on where you live. My state Florida is pretty flat and no curves. Thats a lie, I did see a curve one time down here. But can't remember where it was. ;D

Benda,
You must live in the mountains or where the roads are very twisty. If you got that many miles on those stock Dunlop D220's. If I could ride around in circles 1st left and then right. I could get 10,000 more miles on each side. Ha! Ha! It does make me sick looking at all that tread on each side of the tire. ???

Thanks for all your responses folks.
Cheers!
Richard

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Maybe you could ride your bike at an angle and get some more life out of the tires! ;)

LOL! I just had a visual of an SV naked rolling down a straight interstate at a 30 degree angle with the pilot pushing the bike underneath him... ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.