Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack another thread  :-[ , so I thought it would be polite if I put this in its own thread.

I just purchased a 2002 sv 650 naked. After reading another thread I realized that although the general consensus was that all 2002 sv650 had the preload adjusters on the forks, that mine did not have them. I'm trying to figure out how/what happened.

I'm as certain as I can be about the year of the bike. I bought it from the original owner (title said 1 mile), so I don't know what he did to it. Title says 2002, and it is black (which I believe is a 2002 only color). I do know that it sat for almost two years after he dropped it. Part of the damage is the forks are slightly bent. I am interested in this now because I am going to be pulling the forks to repair or replace the tubes. I'm going to replace the seals while I'm in there.

Perhaps the PO sold the adjusters and just slapped on some stock nuts? I assume that it is a desireable mod on the older bikes. Any ideas? I assume that the spacer is smaller on the adjustable forks. I wonder what I'll find in there. Does anyone know what size the spacer should be for the adjustable and non-adjustable forks???

Also, I went to ronayers and bikebandit and looked at the fiche for the 2002 naked sv. I don't see the preload adjusters on either site. Any idea why?

I'm almost done building my rear wheel stand so I can get the bike up in the air so I can get things apart. (I'll post some pics when I'm done).

Thanks for the assistance.
Mikemo

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bout the only thing left to do is look at the fork caps to see if any damage has occured to the hex part. ANY marking or rounding around the corners of the hex probably means that the caps have been off before. If there is no marking, either the guy was real careful or (more likley) they have never been off.

Hope that helps :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
The 2002 came with the adjusters.
Black was a 2002 only color.

I'd bet that someone at the dealership swapped them with the caps on there own bike before the guy even bought it. Crap like that happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
hmm... I bought the 02 preload adjustable caps for my 01 off RonAyers.com about 15 months ago... they should be listed there somewhere although I do remember going to my local Suzuki dealer and getting frustrated with them because they couldn't find them lsited in their parts listings.... even after I showeed them the caps on an 02 model in their showroom. ::)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
syntheticton said:
hmm... I bought the 02 preload adjustable caps for my 01 off RonAyers.com about 15 months ago... they should be listed there somewhere although I do remember going to my local Suzuki dealer and getting frustrated with them because they couldn't find them lsited in their parts listings.... even after I showeed them the caps on an 02 model in their showroom. ::)
You wouldn't have the part numbers available, would you? ;D

·
Registered
65 Posts
from bike bandit:

1482329-001
CAP ASSY,FORK $27.55

1482302-001
WASHER,UPPER $3.06

472068-001
O RING D:3.5 ID $1.11

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ahh I see, the picture on bike bandit shows a non-preload cap but the numbers they list are different for the 99-01 and 02 models.

504587-001
CAP, OUTER TUBE  $22.58

I do not see the number for the long metal spacer on the regular caps.

Looks like this is the right one. :)
1482329-001
CAP ASSY,FORK  $27.55

1 - 7 of 7 Posts