Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about your thoughts on air filters for the SV650 03+. I've read some threads, but haven't found much good info. I know some like BMC or K&N, while others say to stick with the stock. Does anyone have any hard data on performace improvements, if any by going to these aftermarket filters???

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know I made a comment on the de-snorkel job about air box mods. I tried to look up some specific info on the SV650. I went to holeshot.com who does deal with SV and other bikes. I couldn't find any info about the SV just the B12 in relations to air filters, which he said "Note: We do not recommend any aftermarket air filter element with this jet kit. Extensive testing has found that the original Suzuki filter outperforms other high flow units in the new style air box."

Make sure if you do any mod to your bike you've researched and gathered creditable data. Some newbie who says he did something and it just feels better or you won't believe the difference....yada, yada, yada. Just let them talk, don't listen. If you talk to some people (not I) who have spent some serious time turning wrenches on the SV make a suggestion I'd pay attention, especially when they have dyno records to show proof ("proof" is used liberally, dyno results can vary but they are a lot better than the seat of the pants reports).

I say all this because for the moment I'm a skeptic about airbox mods on the SV650. This is not a high RPM (HP) engine. It is built for midrange use (on the street). Airbox mods typically do gain HP but sometimes at the cost of midrange torque (which I suspect is the case with the SV650).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts