Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to mod my exhaust since i just re-painted my bike and did a DIY fender eliminator. so for an 01 SV650, would you guys recommend that I drill maybe 4-6, 1/4"holes in the exhaust baffle with a long-ass drill bit or do the mod which requires a hole-saw, piece of pipe, and a BFH? i don't have access to a dremel with a tube extension, so the cleanest route is out of the question. i do have a couple wood hole-saws to drill the end of the exhaust, but am a bit wary of the BFH to break the welds inside. as for the drilling method, i was at harbor freight yesterday and found a set of some super-long drill bits (3 for $4).

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i did the mod on my 01, i drilled a bunch of holes in the baffel, took a big pipe (big enough to fit inside the stock muffler) and hammerd the sh** out of it until the baffle broke off, then i pulled it out. its about 8 inches long. as far as the sound goes with my intake mod and the mufflerectomy mod it sounds like a winston cup car i love it. just you tube it youll find it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you guys refer to "drilling" are you talking about using a drill to perforate the outer baffle plate instead of using a hole-saw? i saw a thread on that, but am not a fan of the chewed up look inside of the stainless exhaust tip. the drilling i was referring to was to take a long-ass drill bit and drill several holes through the plate that's about a foot inside the exhaust, leaving everything else visually intact.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
when you guys refer to "drilling" are you talking about using a drill to perforate the outer baffle plate instead of using a hole-saw? i saw a thread on that, but am not a fan of the chewed up look inside of the stainless exhaust tip. the drilling i was referring to was to take a long-ass drill bit and drill several holes through the plate that's about a foot inside the exhaust, leaving everything else visually intact.
what i did was use a regular drill bit to make a lot of small holes around the inside tip, then puched it out with a chisel type punch. after that i used the dremel and extention to cut out the inside, about a foot down.

you could use a sanding wheel to smoth out the hole left by using the drill bit. i didn't have access to the right size hole cutting bit

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did mine with a holesaw and the dremel w/flex extension and if I had to do another one, I could have the whole job done in 15-20 minutes. Two cuts with the dremel, one with the holesaw. I realize you said you don't have access to a dremel + flex.

For cutting the outside baffle plate, I highly recommend a hole-saw. It'll be waaay faster/better than drilling a bunch of holes. I used one that a carpenter-friend had and it was marked 51mm. It was perfectly sized. I'll try to post a few pics when I get home.

-Dave

·
Chief Greeter
29,019 Posts
I did mine with a holesaw and the dremel w/flex extension and if I had to do another one, I could have the whole job done in 15-20 minutes. Two cuts with the dremel, one with the holesaw. I realize you said you don't have access to a dremel + flex.

For cutting the outside baffle plate, I highly recommend a hole-saw. It'll be waaay faster/better than drilling a bunch of holes. I used one that a carpenter-friend had and it was marked 51mm. It was perfectly sized. I'll try to post a few pics when I get home.

-Dave
That sounds like a great idea using a hole-saw bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The hole-saw works great.

On the stock 1st gen exhaust, there is a lip out near the tip, and then there is the actual baffle plate. I think the reason people end up drilling a bunch of 1/4" holes is to get between this lip and the inside diameter of the pipe. A holesaw makes this tons easier. If you're using one made for wood, just go slow with the drill. Also, make sure the holesaw has enough depth, or you might need to the cut the inner tip off a bit (I had to). The holesaw in my pics below is just a bit too large at 54mm (2 1/8"), but 51mm is what was used on the exhaust shown on the bike.

Here are some pics that may or may not help.

My bike sounded sooo much better after this mod, although I was initially shocked at how much louder it seemed. Sounds perfect inside my helmet, though. :)

-Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts