Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SV650N. I noticed today as i accelerated hard my RPM's would get real high with out any increase in speed. It seemed like my clutch was slipping badly which seemed odd to me since the bike only has 6500 miles on it, i'm the second owner and have only had the bike for about 500 miles. As I drove home I was thinking it had to be something besides a burnt clutch. I then noticed a little play in my clutch lever, maybe just 1/8-1/4 inch. After shifting if I release the clutch lever it doesn't release all the way. I can still push the lever out another 1/8" or so, when I do this the slipping goes away. My question is can I fix this by adusting the cable? Should I clean and lube the current cable or by a new one?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
683 Posts
A clutch lever should have some play...10-15mm (at least for my 08 S).

If it's in your clutch, (heavy or stiff), remove the cable and lube, and see that the inner cable slides well to the outer. Also check the lever, pivot and bracket for wear or damage...clean and lube them while at it. If this doesn't help, then check the release on the engine.

Replace it if none of that works in fixing it...but try it before getting another. I had over tightened mine before and it gave me headaches until I realized my error. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned lubed and adjusted using AndyAuger's Clutch Mantra. It's working much better now. I'm not sure i understand what is meant by 1/2" of freeplay in his write-up though.

Brian

·
Registered
683 Posts
You want some wiggle in the lever. I can grab my clutch and move the lever up and down about a fingers width (using that for visual length of movement). If you get little to no movement, it's too tight.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Buy a new cable $17.22

clutch cables are teflon coated and not designed to be lubed, only a dab of lithium grease on the ends where they attach to the lever and clutch actuater

1 - 6 of 6 Posts