Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions? I got the warning sticker off the tank no problem with a hair dryer and my roomate gave me some stuff called oops that took all thee sticky stuff off with couple of wipes, so I got a little carried away and took off the 2 sv650 stickers on each side of the tail section.  Now I have a weird filmy design where the sticker used to be.  It is a little sticky but the oops stuff wouldn't take care of it I guess because it is plastic.  It looks kind of crappy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I'd say go over it with some more goo-gone.
After that, try some Meguiars cleaner wax or Meguiars step 1.
I think it will help.... but what do I know.... ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
As long as your sure that the filmy section isn't actually damaged plastic from using the oops (Which I'm not familiar with), you might want to try 3M adhesive and wax remover. It comes in an aerosol can pretty much anywhere, like Walmart or Autozone/Pepboys. It works well for most things for me in my other hobby (automotive detailing). I can't recall for sure if it is safe on plastic, but I am almost positive it is.

-WhiteMtnCruiser

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Stickers are gone...almost. - WD40 - fingernails

Methods mentioned above work fine but try this anyway.

If you already peeled off stickers fast leaving a mess, use some WD-40 from your chemical shelf, spray it on, count to ten, wipe off the emulsified mess with a paper towel. Some or all will come right off.

Second pass needed? Count to 20-60 and use a soft scraping tool ( right ring fingernail is usually most linear/manouverable edge left on my hand) to rough it up. Paper towel clear. Windex and its now invisible forever.

Next time, use same fingernail to get one fine edge of sticker up, then grip with two nails, and pulll steadily with about 3 inch pounds, it peels nice and slow and the glue comes with it. The fun part here is practicing breathing while you practice patience, pull too hard and it tears or comes off leaving glue behind.

Works on all stickers for all manufactured stuff from any continent, unless too stiff or thin or old a sticker. Then you pre-soak with WD40 for a long while and it comes off same way. Well it does not work perfect on
Nissan and SE-R stickers, on faded old trunk paint. Then follow with polish to blend shiny with faded.

My red 2001 S looks more exotic without any stickers. Anyone who does not know its a gen 1 sv650s at first glance . . . and a SUZUKI SUZUKI SUZUKI... should not be looking? Well, my turbo Quattro driving car engineer friends get positively open minded when they see that bike. Looks like some Tokyo Motor Show concept machine to someone who does not usually stare at bikes. And it runs and has plates.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: Stickers are gone...almost. - WD40 - fingernails

johnny ro said:
Methods mentioned above work fine but try this anyway.

If you already peeled off stickers fast leaving a mess, use some WD-40 from your chemical shelf, spray it on, count to ten, wipe off the emulsified mess with a paper towel. Some or all will come right off.

Second pass needed? Count to 20-60 and use a soft scraping tool ( right ring fingernail is usually most linear/manouverable edge left on my hand) to rough it up. Paper towel clear. Windex and its now invisible forever.

Next time, use same fingernail to get one fine edge of sticker up, then grip with two nails, and pulll steadily with about 3 inch pounds, it peels nice and slow and the glue comes with it. The fun part here is practicing breathing while you practice patience, pull too hard and it tears or comes off leaving glue behind.

Works on all stickers for all manufactured stuff from any continent, unless too stiff or thin or old a sticker. Then you pre-soak with WD40 for a long while and it comes off same way. Well it does not work perfect on
Nissan and SE-R stickers, on faded old trunk paint. Then follow with polish to blend shiny with faded.

My red 2001 S looks more exotic without any stickers. Anyone who does not know its a gen 1 sv650s at first glance . . . and a SUZUKI SUZUKI SUZUKI... should not be looking? Well, my turbo Quattro driving car engineer friends get positively open minded when they see that bike. Looks like some Tokyo Motor Show concept machine to someone who does not usually stare at bikes. And it runs and has plates.
??? ??? ???

Try starting fluid to remove any sticky, If sticky is removed and its faded/unfaded paint, just hit it with a buffer.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It may be too late for this now, but whenever we remove decals from our equipment at work, I use a wallpaper steamer. Usually, the hose from the steamer is attached to a "pan" that is held over about a 1 foot square area of wall to soften wallpaper glue. I don't use the pan for decal removal though. I aim the end of the hose at the decal for a few seconds, and then peel away. You've gotta wear gloves.....the hose gets HOT! Using the standard pan on a wall surface, you don't have to because the handle is insulated.

When using the steamer method, the adhesive from the decal always stays on the decal back.....often when decals are just pulled off, most of the glue stays stuck on the surface and needs to be cleaned off somehow. Steam works wonders! A typical rental-type wallpaper steamer puts out about probably 5 times the amount of steam as a household iron does.

(You may be wondering why we remove and apply decals so often......and then again, maybe not. ;) We do it because OSHA and other regulatory agencies require that warning labels and such be undamaged and legible on our equipment. Once the decals get even a little bit ragged, they get replaced.)

Here's what they look like:

(I've seen painted surfaces damaged by using heat guns and various types of solvents for decal removal, but the steamer does no damage at all.)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas I will try them all this weekend.  Where would I get a buffer, in fact what is a buffer?  I'm assuming the plastic was painted pre-sticker so I can only assume that it is just adhesive residue.  I pulled both stickers very slowly and all in one piece it just looks like the paint is not as glossy in the exact shape of the stickers.  I'll post my results with pics this weekend.  If my computer is up and running again.  The Hard drive died last week.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Chase said:
Thanks for all the ideas I will try them all this weekend.  Where would I get a buffer, in fact what is a buffer?  I'm assuming the plastic was painted pre-sticker so I can only assume that it is just adhesive residue.  I pulled both stickers very slowly and all in one piece it just looks like the paint is not as glossy in the exact shape of the stickers.  I'll post my results with pics this weekend.  If my computer is up and running again.  The Hard drive died last week.
You could get a buffer from any auto supply store, walmart, etc. But I wouldnt suggest it unless you know what your doing. Otherwise you get swirls galore. Just try a soft cotton buffing/polishing rag (from walmart, autozone, etc) and use the meguiars cleaner wax or some more adhesive remover. The 3m stuff mentioned earlier is what I have always used, and then I follow it up with the Meguiars.
Do It.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have found the 3M perfect-it series to be gods gift pollishing and buffing compounds. A lil spendy but man that stuff works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts