Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before...I did a search but couldn't find a clear solution...

So, what have you guys with '04-'05 600/750 front ends done to get your steering stops back?

Here is my '01 SV650 with gsxr front end...the steering stops are nowhere near close...

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
my '01-'02 GSXR1000 has the same problem.
my bro just put some large rubber gasket/sleves over the forks between teh triples and that seemed to help out.

doesn't seem very safe to me.

G

·
you can drill triple and bolt some aluminum stops in right place.
I seen people drill stop on frame and put bolts there.
personaly I do nothing.

G

·
yellow650 said:
do you have to worry about tank slappers with no stops.. that is: are tank slappers worse without the triple stops??
i don't run a steering damper
depends how long are your arms :)
you should not have any tank slappers on sv,if you do put damper on.
I crashed and broke my hand because not enough steering.I rode bike that had less steering than stock.got in corner and lost traction at rear(actualy tranny popped out of gear and went in lower,damn ex500).rear started sliding since I was leaned over,that did not bother me but while correcting front was turned to the stop and soonest it hit stop I was ejected over bars.dont remember how high I flew but I broke hand on landing and could not walk for week.
that was last time I rode bike with limited steering.
learned that more is good,less not good. ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's the silliest thing I've seen someone worry about in a while. Just ride the thing and quit worrying. If it tankslaps, it's not going to make a damn difference if you have an extra inch or two of steering lock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TestaStretta said:
That's the silliest thing I've seen someone worry about in a while. Just ride the thing and quit worrying. If it tankslaps, it's not going to make a damn difference if you have an extra inch or two of steering lock.
I am not worried about tank slapper, my concern is that I don't want to use my clip-ons as steering stops and dent up my tank during a simple low-side (it's a track bike).

I thought about drilling some holes into the bottom triple, but I like the rubber pads idea better.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
On my first gen race bike I first off machined off the existing stops on the tripple clamp then drilled 2 5.8mm holes in the lower triple clamp and screwed two allen head bolts into the holes. I used aluminum nutserts as locknuts for the bolts.
Over here tech inspection (scrutineering) involves makeing sure the bars dont hit anything in their full arc of travel
The point being--dont sweat ya tank being dented--its your fingers you need to worry about

·
Registered
830 Posts
frosty said:
On my first gen race bike I first off machined off the existing stops on the tripple clamp then drilled 2 5.8mm holes in the lower triple clamp and screwed two allen head bolts into the holes. I used aluminum nutserts as locknuts for the bolts.
Over here tech inspection (scrutineering) involves makeing sure the bars dont hit anything in their full arc of travel
The point being--dont sweat ya tank being dented--its your fingers you need to worry about
what's a "nutsert"

·
Registered
113 Posts
um --Dunno what you guys call em --theyre a tubular nut with a collar on em--they crimp in place and make a captive nut for aluminum sheets --just happened to be perfect for this job

·
Registered
397 Posts
frosty said:
On my first gen race bike I  first off machined off the existing stops on the tripple clamp then drilled 2  5.8mm holes in the lower triple clamp and  screwed two allen head bolts into the holes. I used aluminum nutserts  as locknuts for the bolts.
Ahh, if it's a regulation thing then that's different. If its a street bike then I see no reason to start grinding and drilling expensive and important bits of a motorcycle. Hell, MV Agustas will do that in stock trim (crush your hands).

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
That Guy said:
Is it like that with the 2nd gen's also?
i dont think the 2nd gens will have a problem with the steerring stops. i was lookin at the stock forks and how they stop and its exactly the same way as the gsxr forks. theres lil nubs on either side of the frame on the 2nd gen to hit up against those sterring stop bump/thingys. i dont know if those bump/thingys are in different spot between the stock fork lower triple and gsxr forks tho that might affect stop travel. ill have to confirm this once i get my front end together in a week, or if someone with a 2nd gen that has a gsxr front end on already could.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts