Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the castle nuts I think they are called but don't have the tool. Is it ok to hit them with a brass rod to get them off? I realize it will do a little damage to the nut but does a little damage to the nuts really cause any problems?

Do I even reuse those nuts when swapping out for a gsxr front end? It doesn't come with its own nuts does it.

Basic question I know but I figure Its best to ask. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hammer and drift would be fine. To get the torque properly (well, as close to properly set as you can), get a spring scale (fish scale). Suzuki has a force spec for the steering in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
:dontknow: I've never used one and I've replaced/adjusted front ends many times without an issue... I've never had a nut back off, always been inside the force spec and never caused harm to my beaings... So..I guess...YMMV. :p
No, what I am saying is that if you want to torque it to spec - it is my understanding that you need the tool.

I am not saying that you cant reinstall with a hammer and drift method.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the imput guys.

I got a spanner wrench and hooked it into one of the castle nut holes. Then dad banged on the spanner wrench with a hammer and chisel..that got it off with no damage to the nut.

Do I reuse my steering stem bearings for the gsxr front end or does that come with its own stuff?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts