Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can get the preload set nearly perfect, but when you tighten the nut on top of the triple clamp, the preload will increase. Bear that in mind when adjusting preload.
IIRC, there should be very little resistance to moving the assembly (without the front wheel on). You want to adjust for very easy movement, but with no slop.
You'll get it.
It does? It shouldn't increase at all, or at most marginally, because of the tabbed washer. I'll try again with someone holding the forks up while I set the preload. Really don't want to disassemble everything just to take the forks out.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
It does? It shouldn't increase at all, or at most marginally, because of the tabbed washer. I'll try again with someone holding the forks up while I set the preload. Really don't want to disassemble everything just to take the forks out.
Yes, it does.
When the top triple is tightened it compresses the bearing stack.
The movement that causes increased preload is linear, not rotational, so the tabbed washer doesn't prevent it.
A couple of thousandths is all it takes to mess up the preload.
I nearly went nuts getting mine right. But once it's dialed in, it's great.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, it does.
When the top triple is tightened it compresses the bearing stack.
The movement that causes increased preload is linear, not rotational, so the tabbed washer doesn't prevent it.
A couple of thousandths is all it takes to mess up the preload.
I nearly went nuts getting mine right. But once it's dialed in, it's great.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Ah, so I suppose the lock nut AND the top triple nut will increase preload? That's kind of frustrating, but makes sense. So I'll do it again on the straps and check play/resistance with everything torqued and the top triple installed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Alright, tried again and did the whole procedure on the straps. Went 1/2 turn back this time and didn't feel any play, although it's hard to tell with the bike swinging around a bit on the straps. Backed off a little more in case the lock nut and top triple nut tightened it back some and torqued everything down. Still felt fine on the straps. Put everything else back on and went for a ride. At first I thought it was still wandering, but I realized it was just my own inputs because the steering was so much lighter. It's not wandering. The taller 3" rise clipons I put on coupled with the significantly lighter steering make this such a vast improvement overall. I'm so pleasantly surprised. Thank you guys so much for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rock dodger is right. And just remember with any modification their both PROS N CONS! Ball Bearings Have Less Roll Resistance Than Tapered Barrell bearings do. Tapered carry more load and Last Longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put the All Balls tapered bearings on my '03 SV 6 or 8 years ago. It's one of the best upgrades I've every done. There have been zero adjustments since it went in. The bearings are nice and tight without any binding. Adjust until steering is slightly stiff then back it off slghtly. Make sure when you yank on the clipons there's no play. Once it's set it's going to stay there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I put the All Balls tapered bearings on my '03 SV 6 or 8 years ago. It's one of the best upgrades I've every done. There have been zero adjustments since it went in. The bearings are nice and tight without any binding. Adjust until steering is slightly stiff then back it off slghtly. Make sure when you yank on the clipons there's no play. Once it's set it's going to stay there.
Ha, I adjusted until it was pretty loose and then backed off some more. Pretty sure there's no play though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You mentioned that with the "correct" tension on the steering nut, the bike was constantly leaning/turning.
Is it possible that you set the rake/geometry incorrectly? With the right geometry, the bike should be self-centering. With the wrong rake it will constantly want to push out towards the locks.
How the fuck can the rake change ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, maybe it can't with the gsxr forks. on the stock forks, you can clamp the tubes at the wrong height.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts