Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my bike is making decent power (upper 70's I guess), under hard 100mph accelaration around bends in the road I get head shake from the wheel being really light on the ground. This is probably partly due to my seat being so far down too. It's pretty damn scary when your wheel starts hopping around in a turn at that speed...

I've been looking around for a steering damper but all I've seen are ~$500+... is that really what they sell for? I think I got a complete kit for my FZR new from Dennis Kirk for ~$150.
ANybody have one? Whatcha think of it??

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
donniej said:
Now that my bike is making decent power (upper 70's I guess), under hard 100mph accelaration around bends in the road I get head shake from the wheel being really light on the ground. This is probably partly due to my seat being so far down too. It's pretty damn scary when your wheel starts hopping around in a turn at that speed...

I've been looking around for a steering damper but all I've seen are ~$500+... is that really what they sell for? I think I got a complete kit for my FZR new from Dennis Kirk for ~$150.
ANybody have one? Whatcha think of it??
Oh king of modders, I have a stock GSXR 600 damper that I am not using, that you are welcome to. You would have to mod some sort of bracket system, but hey, that is your thing anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DougZ said:
Oh king of modders, I have a stock GSXR 600 damper that I am not using, that you are welcome to. You would have to mod some sort of bracket system, but hey, that is your thing anyway.
SOLD! ;D
If all works out at my Dads, I'll be by to pick it up tonight ;)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
donniej said:
SOLD! ;D
If all works out at my Dads, I'll be by to pick it up tonight ;)
I'll be there. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Donnie i have a gsxr steering dampener and the bracket isn't hard at all to fab up. As for weight the dampener and bracket weight less then a pound (in case you care).

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jaycee said:
Donnie i have a gsxr steering dampener and the bracket isn't hard at all to fab up.  As for weight the dampener and bracket weight less then a pound (in case you care).
got a pic of the bracket stuff so I can see how to fab one up? If not a verbal description would be mighty nice of you ;D

J

·
0 Posts
I sure can donnie however i have a gen2 and a set of gsxr forks so im not sure how much it will help. Just pm me if you still want me to let you know what i did.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Where in Philly are you going 100mph through turns? Oh wait, I know, I've been there 8). Good choice on picking up a gsxr damper, thats the way I'm going too. No need for overkill. Except I'm waiting 'til I pick up gsxr forks before I start fabbing up a mount for one.

J

·
0 Posts
Yea it makes life alot easier since the fork already has a mounting tab built onto it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Drop the front end and/or raise the rear end. Then let the bars shimmy a bit in your hands, it won't hurt a bit. The SV doesn't need a damper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thing is, that guy has an SRAD front end. Meh.

I have a 600k4 damper in my parts bin. I'd love to be able to use it, since I've already had two lock-to-lock tankslappers on my S going around bumpy corners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts