Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SRAD GSXR-750 front end on my my '00, and my friend got into a tankslapper yesterday when he was test riding it, so now I'm looking for a steering damper. The catch is, I'm drilled the top crown and I'm using handlebars, not clipons. So...what will fit?

·
Registered
653 Posts
zoltan said:
I have a SRAD GSXR-750 front end on my my '00, and my friend got into a tankslapper yesterday when he was test riding it, so now I'm looking for a steering damper. The catch is, I'm drilled the top crown and I'm using handlebars, not clipons. So...what will fit?
For Zoltan and everyone else that has a gixxer front end conversion, I am working on a conversion bracket that will create a discrete mounting point for the stock gixxer (or any aftermarket tube style) steering damper. My gixxer front end came with the damper included, but they can be had for around $10-$20 on eBay. The mounting tab extending from the left lower triple clamp will act as the other mounting point. I've been riding around with my prototype bracket for a couple of weeks with no problems. Another benefit is that the damper end points act as steering stops so the fork no longer touches the frame. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Good call... Though Zoltan won't have that problem with the steering lock, since he's used a SRAD on an '00 and they match.

As an alternative, if you want a better item than the GSXR one- and no messing, I would- I believe the Scotts one and the GPR one can both be made to fit easily. Not an option for me with my tank spacers, I think, so I'm looking at a side-mount one instead of a top mount one- most manufacturers of traditional dampers do top mount (916 style) and side mount. If you get a side mount, all you need is an SV fitting kit with a 50mm fork clamp.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oh yeah, what are you running at the back? It's pretty much accepted that most tankslappers result from a bad rear end setup. I had a real bad one a while back, proper lock-to-lock stuff, and that was entirely because I'd set up my Ohlins really badly. I reckon that with the SV, unless you're really ragging it constantly fitting a damper is just treating the symptoms, improving the rear end is treating the cause. Money spent on a damper might well be better spent on improving your rear shock if it's stock or a simple swap (can't remember what you run)

I'm still thinking of a variable speed damper set really low anyway, just as "belt and braces", since I know fine well that even though that huge slapper worked out fine, it could have seen me dead. So it's a peace of mind thing as much as anything else. Also, one of the drawbacks of the upgraded suspension is that it tempts you to ride fast on roads that you'd mince along with stock parts :) Mine was on a road that deserved more respect, that I'd have taken at 50 on stock-is parts, but I was pulling a WOT 4th gear overtake past a line of cars ::)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Northwind said:
Oh yeah, what are you running at the back? It's pretty much accepted that most tankslappers result from a bad rear end setup. I had a real bad one a while back, proper lock-to-lock stuff, and that was entirely because I'd set up my Ohlins really badly. I reckon that with the SV, unless you're really ragging it constantly fitting a damper is just treating the symptoms, improving the rear end is treating the cause. Money spent on a damper might well be better spent on improving your rear shock if it's stock or a simple swap (can't remember what you run)
On the back I'm running a Penske 2-way from SV Race Shop with the correct sag. I don't think it's the rear.

I'm fairly sure that what ultimately caused it this time around was that I had messed with my front setting, easing off the compression and rebound damping and increasing my sag a little, and that put it over the edge when my friend accelerated hard down a rough road. Yeah, I can probably take care of it by adjusting the front, but the fact that just having my suspension set up wrong could cause a tankslapper worries me. Frankly, I'm not willing to take the risk of it happeneing again, especially since I plan to keep playing around with setting and setup. Who knows when I might push things too far again?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, that's much how I feel as well... I'm not at all sure that I need a steering damper, in fact it seems likely that I don't, but for simple comfort and peace of mind I still want one.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ivan said:
Accelerate hard on a bumpy road. The front tire rises and lands, and the bumps make the tire come down a bit cocked-eyed. So front end shakes quite a bit. I've always enjoyed the shaking and the snapping sound because it makes me feel like I'm actually riding rather than being on this smooth magic carpet ride.
Tha's not a tankslapper, that's just everyday bar shake... Nobody could enjoy a full-on tankslapper, it's the most terrifying thing that's ever happened to me on a bike. All of a sudden you're ast on the back but not in any sort of control, and all you can do is wait for the bike to get its act together and hope it happens before you crash.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Northwind said:
Tha's not a tankslapper, that's just everyday bar shake... Nobody could enjoy a full-on tankslapper, it's the most terrifying thing that's ever happened to me on a bike. All of a sudden you're ast on the back but not in any sort of control, and all you can do is wait for the bike to get its act together and hope it happens before you crash.
Yeah you generally poop your pants in the process. A true tankslapper requires an immediate pull over to change undies, and thats no joking matter.

I'll be going with a stock gsxr damper, just going to change the oil in it to help some. On the 2nd gens, there is a bracket for holding the upper fairing, thats on the side of the frame. I'll be using that in conjunction with a fork clamp to make it work, although having a gsxr front ends means you wont need a clamp.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i've never had a tankslapper w/ my setup (SRAD 750 front, zoran penske rear) and i don't run a steering damper...i'd guess rider error.

FWIW, i've had good luck w/ GPR top mounted dampers. idiot proof to use though you'll have to order direct from GPR as they'll have a special mounting kit to give you to use for your gix front end w/ the SV frame.

It's pretty much accepted that most tankslappers result from a bad rear end setup.
??? okkaayyy....

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
What rider error do you think would cause a tankslapper? Except from riding too hard on an uneven road, which would be compensated for by a damper)?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Northwind said:
What rider error do you think would cause a tankslapper? Except from riding too hard on an uneven road, which would be compensated for by a damper)?
Doing wheelies, landing sideways, then fighting the slap with a death grip.

·
Registered
653 Posts
evilbologna said:
I'll be going with a stock gsxr damper, just going to change the oil in it to help some.
I just experimented with some 15W Suzuki Fork oil in the stock gsxr damper. Feels markedly better.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
algreen said:
I just experimented with some 15W Suzuki Fork oil in the stock gsxr damper. Feels markedly better.
Excellent, that saves me from posting a question about what kind of oil to replace it with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts