Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these a worthwhile investment since the sv's don't come with one

If anyone has any .02 and experience I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
most people(the more experienced ones) will agree that its not needed unless you do aggressive track riding/racing. i'm getting to that point soon myself, but not quite there. for your average street/twisty rider, dont bother

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have one on 2 of my SVs only because I got great deals on them. The only time I ever get any front end wiggle is the turn 8 transition at Loudon.

·
Registered
381 Posts
nah--you don't need them on the SV(especially with proper suspension)

but for some race organizations(you are required to have one)

but they are cool to look at

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'm surprised none of you anal hardcore SV cranky sons of bishes have blatantly said it yet. Shame on you.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The only time I ever get any front end wiggle is the turn 8 transition at Loudon.
i get a couple wobbles every lap going around my local track. nothing real scary yet though. mostly because of inconsistencies in the track and suspension not properly dialed in yet(close though).

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you're not doing track days or racing I wouldn't bother unless you want the bling. quiet honestly you most likely wont get anything out of it.

the key to a damper is to prevent the bars from slapping back and forth. The times I've experienced this, most times on the track, it comes from very hard accelerateion or having the bike landing crossed up under power.

NOW

with that said - the SVs wil do all of the bad things above but you need to push them and push them hard. For normal street riding you wont benefit from it.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
It's not really a question of where or how you ride the bike. More important is how it's set up. If it's set up like a race bike, with the rear jacked up and the front lowered, then you may need a damper. Rubber plays a role too, race tires are less stable in a straight line than street tires.

IMO, if you're racing you need a good damper. If you're on the street, but with a racing-oriented setup, or doing track days a DougZ bracket with a GSXR damper makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Rich: Thanks for the shout...much appreciated.

Raab: This is how my damper mount attaches the stock gsxr style damper to the bike( thanks to Mav for the site pics):

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. I commute about 45 miles each way to work and back (about 90 miles each commute), so the extra stability on the highway is appreciated.

I've also run stuff over that resulted in my front wheel getting jerked around. I guess I wasn't paying attention, or other times when I see it coming and have no where else to go.

It's there when I need it.

With GSXR forks, it's easy, get Doug's adapter and a $20 used GSXR damper and you're all set.

I have mine installed on my upgraded stock forks.

tk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am no expert but in my short time with the SV I miss having a damper...all my other bikes have had one and I have gotten some pretty good shakes coming on to the straight and out of corners on the track. I guess it is one of those things that when you need it you will wish you had it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's not really a question of where or how you ride the bike. More important is how it's set up. If it's set up like a race bike, with the rear jacked up and the front lowered, then you may need a damper. Rubber plays a role too, race tires are less stable in a straight line than street tires.

IMO, if you're racing you need a good damper. If you're on the street, but with a racing-oriented setup, or doing track days a DougZ bracket with a GSXR damper makes a lot of sense.
well you could take my sv race bike out and ride it on the street for years and enver need a damper. It's how you ride.

·
Registered
381 Posts
wobbles are normal

the problem with steering dampers is they can be a band-aid fix for a suspension/geometry problem

but if your just trying to trick your bike out I understand that too

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Rich: Thanks for the shout...much appreciated.

Raab: This is how my damper mount attaches the stock gsxr style damper to the bike( thanks to Mav for the site pics):
Here's a pic of mine. I commute about 45 miles each way to work and back (about 90 miles each commute), so the extra stability on the highway is appreciated.
Thanks for the pics guys. Man I just sold mine. Didn't know it was so easy. Just buy a bracket and you're done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts