Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently replacing a Bridgestone front and Conti Sport rear, both patched.

Tired of finding nails and pulling them out to hear hissing air. Have probably patched 4 times in the last year.

There was a thread a while back about a cheapo Conti with steel belt, are there any others?

Otherwise I'm just going to go Conti Sport front, Conti Road back, or both Conti Sport. But it would be nice to have a high end, sticky and durable good-handling tire that can stand up to nails and metal shards.

PS: Progressive sucks balls for insurance, they quoted me at least double what I ended up paying with Arrowhead (moto specific insurance co.)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
What you are asking isn't really possible. Most of the tires (95%) available in the SV sizes are radial (steel belted as well). The problem tires run into is, that they are made from relatively soft material. They will never stand up to nails or metal shards. There are run flat tires for cars, but they have built up sidewalls or rubber around the center of the rim (airless tire).

It's part of the hazard. What I would really look into is where you are riding. I found that there are certain areas that maximize my chance of picking up crap in my tires. I avoid those areas now.

BTW, you can plug your tire with in reason. Some will say to NEVER plug a motorcycle tire, but I've done it many times for street riding.

And yes, progressive is horrible for me as well. I was paying $500 a year, quoted Progressive and was quoted well over $3000 for the same coverage. No thanks...and that was with a clean record, no lein.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
new tires are nail magnets

almost never fails, while I don't get nails in every new tire, when I have picked up nails, it's always been in the first 1000 miles and usually within the first 200 miles

I've had better luck on my V-strom, 150/70s are made for heavier bikes, thread is thicker, carcass is heavier, slightly taller than a 160/60

1 - 4 of 4 Posts