Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search has not helped me find what I want to know.

Have a stebel magnum horn to install (NOT a nautilus). Anyone put one on their bike? Does it wire right in without a relay? Or does it need a relay as well?

Mucho Gracias for any info.;D

·
Registered
789 Posts
if you use the relay, you can power the compressor (if it has a compressor) directly from the batter, which is 12V??? (somebody correct me). But, in any case, if you hook up your stebel to the original horn-connector, the power is less?

sorry if the info is butt-wrong, just trying to help :p

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
No, the power is the same. It's all 12V, unless stepped down. All accessories on the bike are 12V.

The voltage is the same. The problem is whether the wires in the circuit can carry the current flow (amperage) that the accessory causes.

The Stebel Nautilus draws a lot more current than the stock horn. This current will cause the stock horn wiring to heat up and melt very rapidly, as there's too much "pressure" in the line--imagine a water hose hooked to a fire hydrant. It'll burst because too much water is being pushed through it.

I don't know what the current draw is on the horn he's installing. If it doesn't call for a relay, it likely isn't needed. But, as Wally said, putting one in will never hurt. Unless the relay fails. In that case, you just replace the relay.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Are you going single or double horns?

I have seen people with 2 Freeway Blaster horns fit a relay in, but if its just one, the consensus is that a separate relay is not needed. What is the max amps of the horn? What does the instructions say?

tk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Magnum is NOT a nautilus - it has no compressor, being an electromagnetic horn - just like the stock horn only LOUDER. It draws 6amps from what I can find out.
Oh and I am using just a single horn at this point. Will see what the volume is like and go from there...

OK - just checked out the package. Horn draws <6a. Horn circuit has 20a fuse...should be no problemo.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Weird wacky piece of trivial knowledge.

Two horns making the same amount of noise only raise the total volume 3db (every 3db gain is a doubling in sound). Just keep that in mind if you wanna buy more than one horn.

Also, the 140db the stebel puts out is equivalent to sound of a gunshot.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

Two horns making the same amount of noise only raise the total volume 3db (every 3db gain is a doubling in sound). Just keep that in mind if you wanna buy more than one horn.

And yet... mom's driving minivans while talking on cell phones STILL try to merge into me and pretend they don't see/hear me. :angry1:

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

Two horns aren't used to make it louder. Just more noticeable.

The two tones are set at dissonant frequencies, so that they warble, like two instruments that are out of tune. I noticed this the other day on my car. I used my horn on my car, but only heard one tone. I looked at the other and noticed the contact was loose. Tightened it and it rang with the other.

I then noticed that the combined horns are quite grating, where as the single is just a horn noise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for everyone's information, I installed the Magnum, without a relay and it goes just fine. Basically unplugged the old one and plugged in the Magnum...gave it the test....

"PAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Fortunately I did not test it late at night or early in the morning.....

Mounting is a little dodgy just now but that will be fixed when I have more time. Half hour job. No sweat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final mounting: Put it inside the fairing - inside from the LH blinker light. Drilled a hole in the plastic and mounted the horn below. Put a kink in the mounting strip to avoid abrasion of the wires and there ya go. Easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts