Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was riding home from work and during a normal downshift the SV completely died on me.. I quickly pulled the clutch and fired it back up before a moments notice and rode it all the way home with 0 problems whatsoever. When I got home and hit the kill switch, it made a very audible single 'CLUNK'.. This seemed really out of the ordinary for me so I put it in neutral and fired it back up... during startup I heard this nasty grinding or rattly sound which dies away after 4-5 seconds..

I have included some videos of a few startups I did since then. I'm a bit nervous of trying to start it any more or see if it will ride fine after the rattle quiets down, but listening to the motor after the few starts I recorded the motor sounds completely normal once that rattle goes away. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I would say your starter motor clutch assembly is having problems and possibly on its way out. The 2nd vid where the starter motor just spun and not the motor tells you that the one way clutch behind the magneto rotor is failing. You would have to open up the magneto cover, left side of engine and remove the rotor to access the starter clutch. It is repairable. Why the bike stalled, I don't know. Maybe just a hot motor. The clunk you heard is either the driven gear on the clutch or the starter clutch. Not out of the ordinary to hear that. It's called kickback.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the past year I've owned it it's been my daily driver and it's stalled 3 times on downshift - just complete cut out like as if you hit the kill switch. I shrugged it off since its not been common at all but I can't help feel this rattle is related to the time it died today. When I downshifted it did sounded like it clunked louder than normal (could just be in my head) and when I hit the starter while rolling I don't recall it sounding rattly but I was going 40mph at the time with earplugs in..

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When it stalls on downshift, at what point does it stall? With the clutch in before the actual shift change or when you let out the clutch?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
That's the large driven starter clutch gear with the broken teeth. See if you can find the broken metal. You will have to remove the rotor to replace the gear and at that time check the one way clutch as well. Are there any broken teeth on the smaller intermediate gear to the left?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No the intermediate gear is fine. I was able to find 3 out of 4 of the teeth but I'll have to look a little harder tomorrow (I was in a bit of a hurry as I didn't have a bunch of time tonight). I'll definitely be ordering a new gear and starter clutch as they come ordered in a pair.

Do you know where those two holes at the bottom of that side of the case go? I assume they are oil passages but do they go to the oil filter/oil pan maybe? If that fourth tooth went down there I'll have to find where it could have gone..

It stalls exactly on downshift, as in the exact moment the shift lever is pressed down. And like I mentioned, it's pretty instant.. and I've always shrugged it off considering how often I ride this bike and how rarely it's happened. Still.. if I could diagnose it, I'd definitely feel happier about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Incidentally I happened to have my gopro running... Don't mind the annoying tapping sound - that's just my backpack chest strap tapping the gas tank.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I don't know where the two oil passages go. Maybe using one of those small magnets on an extendable wand will be able to fit inside and find something. You could always drain the oil, pull the filter off and see what comes out if anything. There is another galley drain plug under the engine, other side from oil drain plug, that you could remove. There is a screen that might have trapped the metal.

As far as stalling, check the connection at the sidestand switch. Not sure what is happening. Is your idle set within spec? 1300+/-100 rpm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to go over both connections and make sure they are cleaned and maybe seal with dialectic grease. Idle is set properly at 1300 and carbs were synced not long ago

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok got some new parts on the way.. Does anyone have any insight as to why the teeth on the starter clutch gear may have broken? I'd hate to put everything back together only to have it happen again..

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know on my bike I had some serious backfiring problems from old fuel in the tank after sitting for so long. I ran it @ idle for a while and when I tried to snap the throttle a few times it would backfire. Well, one of those times it backfired was followed by that dreaded grinding noise. Pulled the cover and found three teeth just like you did, and one tooth on the intermediate gear broken, the clutch rotor was also shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts