Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all SV members,

I seem to have a problem starting my gen 1 sv650s. I have checked the battery before attempting to start and it is sitting at 11.9v. While attempting to start , the reading drops to 8.5v. The bike is turning and I can smell fuel however it just will not start. The voltage soon comes back to 11.9v after attempting to start.

I also noticed when I pull the front brake lever, the front park light comes on for some reason.

Can anyone help or advise ?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

BradSA

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd say that, given the readings, the battery is dead.
You might want to read this post.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
11.9V resting is about 35% state of charge...and 8.5V while cranking is below minimum spec (9.6V).

You can certainly try charging it first, but I also suspect you will eventually find you need a new battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good day to all

I have charged my battery up and it is pushing out 13.3v. I connected the battery and tried to fire the machine up this morning to no avail. The bike was running a week or so ago however upon idling it did have a soft spot where it would almost cut off but didn’t . In addition to this I did breakdown a few times as a result of this because if this happens while riding you lose power and the bike switches off and will not start for about 3-4 hours.
I was told that my carbs may be out of sync. I do have a video of the bike idling with this “soft spot” occurring however I do not know how to upload it on this site.
Can anyone help or assist with the above ?
Your assistance is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Regulator/rectifier are a common failure on 1st gen SVs so I would once again check battery voltage when cranking to be sure the battery isn't taking on a false surface charge, and if you can get it running, check the charging voltage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good day to all

I have been battling to get a regulator/rectifier as a result of the covid 19 pandemic. I have managed to find a gsxr 1000 k8 model regulator/rectifier. Before I purchase it I noticed that the plugs/connectors do differ from my Sv first gen regulator/rectifier.
Would it be possible for me to remove the plugs/connectors from my old rectifier and fit them onto the gsxr regulator/rectifier?
I am avoiding an Sv regulator/rectifier due to it known for failure as mentioned by golden chicken.
Would this solve the problem ?
I look forward to your response.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
As you said, the OEM gen1 SV650 R/R is junk. They run HOT and do not get sufficient air circulation tucked away in the tail section. It is a design destine to failure, and man, do a lot of them fail.

You want a COOL running MOSFET R/R. If the GSXR R/R is MOSFET type then the will work but I do not know if that is true. You might ask folks on the GSXR forum.

Take a look at this thread for other R/R recommendation.

Once you get the R/R replaced, check the charging voltage. You should see 14 to 14.5v at 5k rpm.

Keep in mind, starting and running problems have nothing to do with the R/R. So long as the battery is fully charged the bike will start and run fine. The R/R's only function is to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good day TeeRiver,

I am puzzled as I have a battery that is about two months old, I have charged it as the bile has been standing for about 3 weeks due to it not starting. After reconnecting the battery the bike cranks but refuses to fire. I suspected the rectifier as I had broken down a few times prior to the bike not starting at all.
If you say the R/R won’t affect starting the bike then is there a possibility of a different problem in my case ?
During the breakdown period, the bike would idle with an interruption which would almost cut the engine off but didn’t which lead to decreasing power while riding which then cut off completely and resulted in the breakdowns. After 3 or so hours the bike would start again as if nothing was wrong.
I am really baffled and I want to get the bike running again.
I appreciate all your assistance and yet again seek more in order to help me in this regard.
What else can you advise me to do ?

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
... If you say the R/R won’t affect starting the bike then is there a possibility of a different problem in my case ?
Yes, so long as the battery is healthy and fully charged, the R/R can not be the problem. Without the R/R (and/or Stator) the bike will start and run fine. But of course, once the battery starts dying the ignition will quit and the engine will die.

It is good to take one problem at a time. Fix the R/R first. 14 to 14.5v at the battery terminals with engine at 5k rpm means it is working. After the charging system is working, post again and I or others will help best we can with the running problem. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts