Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i've got an 05 650n & put in about 750 miles on it. its my first fuel injected bike & i know it doesn't need a choke knob or fuel enrichener like many carb'ed bikes do. when i turn the key to "on" position there's a whining sound that lasts less than 2 seconds. i'm assuming this is the FI calibrating/setting itself? i hit the starter switch & it turns, starts & dies after about 2 seconds. there's the whining sound again so i wait for it to stop then re-start & now everything's fine. also, after starting the engine doesn't go on a fast idle when cold as other FI bikes & cars do. it just goes on a rough idle & gradually smoothens out when it gets warm. everything's fine otherwise.
again, this might not even be a problem but i just thought i'd get expert opinion whether this is normal or not for the sv. thanks.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
The whining sound is the fuel pump. Where are your RPMs at idle? It sounds like its not getting enough juice when 1st it fires up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JPDD said:
The whining sound is the fuel pump. Where are your RPMs at idle? It sounds like its not getting enough juice when 1st it fires up.
it idles at just under 1500 rpm - about 3/4's of the way from 1000 to 1500.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Next time you fire her up and she's warm and at a steady idle try to bring down the idle to @1200 rpm. That might help...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you mean the engine dies or the noise dies?

If it's the engine:
When you start it, don't give it any throttle.  Press the starter button and don't rev it at all. Injected bikes are way different than carb'd bikes.

And yes, the whine is just the fuel pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
03-SV650RR said:
Do you mean the engine dies or the noise dies?

If it's the engine:
When you start it, don't give it any throttle.  Press the starter button and don't rev it at all.  Injected bikes are way different than carb'd bikes. 

And yes, the whine is just the fuel pump.
well, the noise stops & then i fire her up w/ just the starter & no throttle. even in my older carb'ed bikes i never used any throttle to start when the choke's on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are just tapping the starter button now and it is dying, try pushing the starter button in for a couple seconds. Obviously, you don't want to be holding it in after it starts, but let it go two cranks before letting go of the button. As for the rough idling at start, that is what mine does as well. It tend to idle a little rough at first but quickly smooths right out.

-WhiteMtnCruiser

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
no problems here.  mine does the humming you are describing (fuel pump...it does that the whole time the engine is running, its just harder to hear since the engine is much louder...you can hear it if you try), cranks right up, jumps to (oh...I dont know...I think approximately) 2000 rpm as soon as it fires up, and immediately drops to a fast idle (1600 or so, I think) for a little while before dropping to my set idle speed of 1200.  mine will SOMETIMES do what you are describing if I crank it while the engine is WARM (giving her a bit of throttle after she's started and while she's idling rough seems to make the rough idle go away very quickly), but never when its COLD.  I'm thinking there could possibly be something wrong with your automatic choke or fast idle or something.

If its an 05 with 750 miles on it, what are you waiting for?  why are you asking us?  you should be under warranty!  take her back to the dealer...while you're there, get the first maintenance service done, too, if you havent already.  first maintenance service should be around $100-150...fixing your starting problem should be free.

edited: corrected rpms

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got it working! i checked the service manual (downloaded from sv650.org) & found out how to adjust the fast idle setting. turned the screw about 1/4 in then fired her up. sure enough it ran up to about 2500 then gradually went down as the temp rose & settled to idle when temp reached above 110. had to fiddle w/ the idle to leave it at 1250 rpm. thanks guys. btw, while i had the tank propped up i saw the tps & remembered reading about adjusting it improve throttle transitions. might just do that next. thanks guys!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts