Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Recently bought a 2000 SV650 as my first bike. Before purchase, my friend test drove and everything went fine (needs some basic maintenance including an oil change, front brakes bled, etc. but starts and rides fine). He then drove it about 10 miles to a parking lot without any problems. I took over and proceeded to stall a few times like a complete noob. The first couple of times, turns back on as normal. Then, all the sudden, for no apparent reason, doesn't turn on. I hear a 'clicking' sound coming from the battery.

Assumed it was a dead battery; tried charging it from the car: nothing. We were easily able to push start the bike so I assumed it was the battery. Got a new one, charged it to 12.8V (checked with a multimeter), still doesn't turn on. When I turn the key, all the lights and everything turn on. But when I push the ignition switch, just clicking coming from the battery. Jump starts without a problem, but can't start it normally at all.

Any advice? I guessed rectifier/regulator and my friend kind of guesses it's the starter. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS: The clicking sound is the relay.

Barrypz, If I hook up a multi-meter and it reads an acceptable 12.8 volts, doesn't that mean the battery is fine? I'm a complete tech noob as well so it might be something basic I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My last battery still had good voltage when it began to fail at starting the bike. Before ditching the battery though, make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Starting is a big amp draw.

·
Registered
317 Posts
PS: The clicking sound is the relay.

Barrypz, If I hook up a multi-meter and it reads an acceptable 12.8 volts, doesn't that mean the battery is fine? I'm a complete tech noob as well so it might be something basic I'm missing.
You could check your voltage drop during start up. For example, you may have 12.8 but when during the "start-up" your battery should only drop down to 10 volt or so. I have seen people say the have a "new" battery or a "good" battery with 13 volts, but when a voltage drop is performed on the bike the battery will drop down to 4v. After trying to start it and checking the battery is was above 12 again. So, keep the meter hooked up as you are turning the bike over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To everyone that has similar symptoms: the problem has been solved by replacing the starter relay. Now bike starts without a problem. Huge thanks to my buddy, and his buddy, for the fix and thanks to everyone ^ for the help.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Do you still have the starter relay, the old one? I would pay for shipping to check the relay out and investigate what went wrong. PM if this is a possibility. Usually if a relay clicks, it's working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No trying to hijack the thread but I jut had a similar problem today. I had no clicking threw the batter on the charger it started up while connected. Took it off put the seat and side panels back on and nothing. Turned the key off and back on then it did start? Mines an 06 SV1kS with 40000 miles

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Do you still have the starter relay, the old one? I would pay for shipping to check the relay out and investigate what went wrong. PM if this is a possibility. Usually if a relay clicks, it's working.
when I was diagnosing his bike, i skipped the leads on the relay and got the starter turning (scorched a screwdriver too :evil6: ).
New used relay dropped in and everything worked perfectly.

now tell me if it clicks it's working again :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
when I was diagnosing his bike, i skipped the leads on the relay and got the starter turning (scorched a screwdriver too :evil6: ).
New used relay dropped in and everything worked perfectly.

now tell me if it clicks it's working again :p
Actually he's right the clicking noise is the circuit opening and closing. I had 97 katana was doin same thing I replaced relay with new and all it would do is click. Replaced battery started up just fine. I'm wondering if starter goin and jumping the relay just unfunked it momentarily. I'm guessing battery on its way out too. These small batteries only reliable for a couple years then there poo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts