Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just brought home my 06 sv650n tonight and got home played it around with it awhile...took my girlfriend for a quick ride AND THEN.....while i was in a big parking lot, it died and will not start back up. all the lights and instrument panel come on. sometimes the battery clicks but then other times it acts like it wants to start. The FI light is on the instrument panel...am i looking at something simple here or complicated?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
battery terminals came loose? if not check the voltage. when you say "sometimes it acts like it wants to start", do you mean it turns over slowly?

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
probably loose terminals or dead battery.
I agree with mattman.

What often happens with used bikes is they sit un-ridden, which can leave the battery at low charge for months. This is a death sentence for the battery. Lead-acid batteries like the ones used in our SVs must stay fully charged else the plates sufate and render them junk. It doesn't take long.

It is possible the previous owner put the battery on charge just before the sale and that brought it up just enough to get you where you are. If this was the case, the PO may or may not have known the battery was junk, and when buying a used bike, it is almost a given you will need to install a new battery soon, if not immediately.

It could be loose terminals, or a failed charging system, so be sure to check those first, but most likely it is time to go shopping for a new battery. Congrats on the new bike, and don't let the minor setback spoil it! :rock:

ps: The FI light doubles as the oil pressure light, so it is normal for it to be on anytime the engine is not running.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work at the dealership it sat at for almost a month so I will have a chat with the sales department tomorrow morning...hopefully I can get it there. Pop start work?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
Yes, you might be able to push start it, uses 2nd or 3rd gear as first will just skid the tire.

You can remove the headlight fuses to conserve power (especially when trying to start), but not legal to run no light in most states.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother saved me...he just happened to have a battery tender at his apartment and ran it over to me. I unhooked the battery and thru it one...it was definitely dead because it's been on almost two hours and it's between 25-50% charged so by the time I wake up for work in another 5 hours it should be good to go and I'll test it when I get to work

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
charged the battery over night and it was good to go this morning...again thanks guys. im so glad I purchased this bike it is awesome to ride. much better for the commute I have into work

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read up on it and I think I may come out for one day...Ive gotta see if I can swing taking the days off of work. I would love to come out to it. I'm all about getting together and meeting new ppl and havin a good time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts