Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery reads 13.5 with bike off. Reads 12.9 with bike on. Drops to 9,8 when pressing starter button with engine trying to turn over. Drops to 3 with the bike starting to hesitate (dash lights flickering) then 'click'. See video here:
http://youtu.be/N-wQUhfmzWI

What's my issue?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Even though your battery voltage at rest seems fine, the battery isn't able to hold the charge when a load is applied, such as the starting motor. The slow cranking is a dead give away; sorry for the pun.

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Smooth, put one hand over your heart, the other over the battery, hum taps quietly to yourself... ;D

12.9v with lights on means the battery has recently been charged. Dropping to 3v under that condition means that sucker is toast.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh, I forgot to mention that the charge would go back up to 12-13 after trying to start. The battery is 5 months new. Do I still need a new one?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The battery is probably under warranty. Did you purchase from a local store? Charge the battery with a charger and have the battery tested. It sure seems like it's gone unless the starting motor is drawing too much. Did you check the charging system on the bike when you installed this battery 5 mo ago? Did you fully charge this battery before installing into the bike?

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that the charge would go back up to 12-13 after trying to start. The battery is 5 months new. Do I still need a new one?
The fact that the voltage comes back up to 12-13 after dropping to 3v means the battery has failed, or is severely sulfated. If it were simply low on charge, the voltage would not come back up so high.

But to be sure, as RMAN said, give the battery a full charge (trickle overnight is best) and try again; if it still falls on its face, it needs to be replaced.

Sometimes "new" batteries have been sitting in the warehouse or on the shelf for a long time, or have not been charged properly when new. Just curious, what brand is it? Also, the battery could have been perfect, but if left to sit at very low charge, can kill it in less than one month.

Reputable shops are pretty good about replacing batteries if they fail after just a few months, so I would definitely go back to where you bought it and see what they can do. Good luck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check your cold cranking amps on that battery. If its not at or a little higher than the manual requires thats your problem. I had the same issue a ways back using a battery with 120 cca. Bumped up to a shoria LFX14A1-BS12 with 210 and i havent had an issue since.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The failed battery was a Yuasa YT12A-BS bought at a local shop. I just called them and they said it's covered under warranty.

I'll get a new replacement tomorrow and let you know if this fixes the problem! Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The failed battery was a Yuasa YT12A-BS bought at a local shop. I just called them and they said it's covered under warranty.

I'll get a new replacement tomorrow and let you know if this fixes the problem! Thanks!
Yep, twas the battery. She start like butter now! Good news was that the 5month battery was covered by 1 year warranty. Didn't have to pay for a new one. Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts