Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story...

Last week after work I went to start her up. The bike came on & started up for less than 1min then shut off.. I started her up again and the 2nd time stayed on for maybe 5seconds then just shut off... Tried again but no response from the key position. When I flipped the key to the "ON" position there was no response. Left it off for 1min then tried again and all was good.

Originally, I thought it was a weak battery/fuse/or kill switch issue.. Not the case, battery was fully charged, fuses good & kill switch in the proper position.

Yesterday morning she started up perfectly fine. Went for a 1hr ride. Ride was fine, no issue. Parked the bike for maybe 15mins then when it was time to leave the problem came back. Turned the key to the "ON" position, lights and everything on instrument panel came on as normal then the bike shut off after 5secs before I could clutch in & hit the starter.

Now, when I flip the key from the "OFF" to "ON" position nothing happens at all. no lights, NOTHING! If I put the key to the "P" position, lights AND horn doesn't work either.

WTF is going on?!?

I checked the battery and it is fully charged.. Cleaned battery connection, checked fuses. Everything is fine. Kill switch is in proper position too.

Any ideas what the issue is? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the grounds ! I would also check to see if you have any codes.

You said you turn the key and have no power right ? Check the manual for the power circut and poke around to see if you have power at the switch. Just check the wire diagram and start eliminating circuts one by one until you find the issue. My friend had a similar problem and the dealer told him the gear selector switch was the problem. The bike did not know it was in neutral and would not start.

Down Load the manual on the site............

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
dom05sv650 said:
Check the grounds ! I would also check to see if you have any codes.

You said you turn the key and have no power right ? Check the manual for the power circut and poke around to see if you have power at the switch. Just check the wire diagram and start eliminating circuts one by one until you find the issue.  My friend had a similar problem and the dealer told him the gear selector switch was the problem. The bike did not know it was in neutral and would not start.

Down Load the manual on the site............
yah i had a similar problem actually with my first car. some bolt that had some thing to do with the gear selector switch came out and it wouldn't start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts